1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bespoke Trousers: Current Trend

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Franc Lloyd, Jul 18, 2012.

1. GBR

GBR Senior member

No I am merely reading what he did type.

See post number sevben from the OP.

Franc Lloyd

Select All Posts By This User
    Words seem very strange? Hmm, pleading guilty as charged, your honor!

He concedes the point I make.

May I commend reading the whole thread?

2. jimhones

jimhones Active Member

^^is all irony lost on you, or just the written kind?

3. jimhones

jimhones Active Member

and i did read the whole thread. i am interested in it. exluding the parts where you accuse the OP of some nefarious plot to sell his tailoring services.

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Personally, I have never considered wearing a belt with a suit. It has always seemed wrong. I avoid this first of all by buying suit trousers that actually fit, however because my waist line varies a bit with whether it's race season or not (I'm a runner and triathlete), I much prefer suit trousers with side adjusters and/or buttons for braces (if part of a 3-piece), so I'm glad both are becoming more common again.

5. jimhones

jimhones Active Member

I've not yet graduated to a point where I feel.comfortable without a belt, and i dont need it to keep my trousers up. I feel, for me, the outfit is unfinished without one.

6. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

Millerp, good point. I guess it never hurts to ask.

So I have a few follow up questions on side-braces:

Are they considered any more or less formal than a traditional set up with a belt?

Are they only to be incorporated onto suit pants? (Or pants that you expect to always have them covered with a jacket.) Or are they also okay for odd trousers?

Thanks to everyone for the input.

7. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Given the hideous contrasting cuff buttonholes in his avatar, I'm guessing he's a MTMer.

The OP certainly had the feel of an unctuous ad. If you're here to drum up business, be upfront about it.

If it's about imparting knowledge, I think you'll soon find that SF has seen side tabs before.

8. Zac Duncan

Zac Duncan Well-Known Member

a neat simple good quality pants without belt-loops is my fav

9. stupendous

stupendous Senior member

Singapore by way of Manila, Hong Kong and Californ
    I have begun to like, more and more, trousers wihtout belt loops, but do not have these in abundance at the moment. There are two reasons: 1. I live in the tropics, where odd trousers, shirt and tie are standard CBD, and odd trousers generally do not come off the rack with side adjusters (there are some brands; it's just not common); and 2) my weight has fluctuated a bit this year and, with it, my waistline. I'm not sure I could keep my pants up without a belt!

Tha being said, they do form a cleaner line, and tend to come across, even if you are not a clothes junkie, to be special.

10. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Some months ago I gave suspenders a go and haven't looked back since. Much more comfortable than stiff, suffocating belts. Loopless waistbands have clear lines, cuffs both give eyes something to look at and help the fabric drape better. These are details too few makers offer in RTW.

11. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have some suits and pants that were my fathers.
    these have self fabric belts.

I really like the look. Sadly, The last fabric beltmaker, I know of, closed years ago.
    I was just given the name of a beltmaker who can do self fabric, so I will have to report back.