• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Tragedies

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
BTW, if I had to choose between soft and drape, I would choose soft. Not a moment's hesitation. What Matt said earlier about Hollywood/'40s drape is right on. I would never feel at ease in a strong, stiff shoulldered coat with a gallon of drape on either side. Give me lean but soft any day.
Would you feel comfortable in the highly waisted military silhouettes that some Savile Row tailors do?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I think not. A&S is one of the less expensive shops on SR. R is pricey. Perhaps someone can provide the current specifics, but I think R will set you back about $500+ over A&S.

I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by Will
Actually he's about 20% more expensive than A&S. But he doesn't seem to screw up nearly as often.

Yes, sure seems that way from SF and AAAC posts. Less screwing up by Rubinacci that is.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
To your eye and mine, yes, but the Internet criticism count for Rubinacci is surprisingly high.

The only pure love is for peninsular Matt.

It is as if your Rubinacci does not make you look like Pelosi Matt, it's wrong.

- B

Maybe Matt is a Rubinacci shill
laugh.gif
devil.gif
I'll bet that all of Matt's posts, pictures, and internet buzz on the forums are as much a benefit to Rubinacci as an American advertising program!

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Yes, and for the record, this hurts mini-Matt's feelings.

Are you more a Matt Man or a Rubinacci Man? Based on your blog, I would think both approve of your Rubinacci coats et al.

I wanna be like Vox. Does that mean I have to lose more weight, take up cycling, and become a bespoke Steed customer? Now that's one high bar!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Would you feel comfortable in the highly waisted military silhouettes that some Savile Row tailors do?
Dege, when they were on, did a really great job for me. Since I gave up on them, I have been trying some other things in the interim that have been very good, but targeted a different look. But am very much looking forward to opening a package that arrived yesterday, containing my attempt to replace Dege while keeping that general approach.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dege, when they were on, did a really great job for me. Since I gave up on them, I have been trying some other things in the interim that have been very good, but targeted a different look. But am very much looking forward to opening a package that arrived yesterday, containing my attempt to replace Dege while keeping that general approach.

I don't recall ever seeing any pics of you on here. Am I blind, or do you need to post more pics?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It is because of my beautiful body and handsome face.

Brutha!

Yes, and for the record, this hurts mini-Matt's feelings.

Seriously...Rubinacci has a suprisingly wide range, and only the two Matt's have shared enough examples to get a sense of what is intrinsic to the house and what is representative of solutions that the house produces for each individual.

I would like to count T4, but he is in an ethereal category of likely inebriated excellence.

If it makes you guys feel any better, nearly all of the Rubinacci hate has been a joke. Motivated by something else (envy, mafoo's truculence), or just by blindness.

Well, Rubinacci is the best iDocumented bespoke tonic to the RTW Neapolitan look.

Only Mark is prepared to continue to love Oxxford publicly. There is only RL for RTW intepretations of the English look. But, a lot of forum guys buy RTW Neopolitan, including me.

So, a lot of focus is devoted to picking apart Rubinacci...Castro Matt, who presents like the embodiment of the Neapolitan mannikin, floats above the fray as his less idealisticly limbed and proportioned Rubinacci brothers get consumed by the iPiranha.

The A&S hate is in a different category, because they have deserved it on many occasions, and because their style is more likely to divide the room. Still and all, very few A&S examples have been posted, but people take for granted that they deserve to be hated. I call that groupthink.

The examples I have seen of A&S do not seem worse than the Corvato or Nicolosi I have seen. I suppose Letterman looks okay, but it is hard to wash away the images of him walking en scene in those unbuttoned DB jackets.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't recall ever seeing any pics of you on here. Am I blind, or do you need to post more pics?

Sent you a PM.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The examples I have seen of A&S do not seem worse than the Corvato or Nicolosi I have seen. I suppose Letterman looks okay, but it is hard to wash away the images of him walking en scene in those unbuttoned DB jackets.
- B

I think this misses the mark. I have seen some great Nicolosi suits, but only in person. All the ones I can recall seeing posted -- including mine -- have been awful.

I think Letterman looks great in Corvato. Not my style, very crisp and clean, but still great.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am no doctor, but my posting pics will not help you see.
I think you need Vox's wife for that.

You two should have an upstate outing at which you can introduce the other to each of your native cuisines. Dopey can teach Mafoo about Chinese food, and Mafoo can teach Dopey about the best bagel shops.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

I've seen him in person. Unsurprisingly, he is short.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

No.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You two should have an upstate outing at which you can introduce the other to each of your native cuisines. Dopey can teach Mafoo about Chinese food, and Mafoo can teach Dopey about the best bagel shops.

I've followed him around a few times. I blend in with all the other anonymous looking dwarves roaming the UWS, and Mafoo never notices. It wouldn't work if I posted pictures of me on my couch.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I wanna be like Vox. Does that mean I have to lose more weight, take up cycling, and become a bespoke Steed customer? Now that's one high bar!

Not just cycling.

My trainer is going to post a video of me on his blog that he took today of some torture he was inflicting on me this morning. I pray that there is no butt crack.

And if there is, that there is no butt hair.

I do not know, nor plan to know, any martial arts, though. I wish I did to augment my MotU and Internet Tough Guy points.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think this misses the mark. I have seen some great Nicolosi suits, but only in person. All the ones I can recall seeing posted -- including mine -- have been awful.

I wouldn't call smoothjazzone's Nicolosi awful, but I wouldn't like it for me.

Then, of course, there's yours.

I think Letterman looks great in Corvato. Not my style, very crisp and clean, but still great.

Sorry. Can't agree, but I don't blame the tailor. Letterman has always looked perpetually dated to me, like he's -3 years in RTW trends.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads