• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Tailors- Chicago

jascot

Reaction score
Any advice for good bespoke suit tailors in Chicago?

A friend recommended Nicholas Joseph, thoughts?

Thanks

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jascot
Any advice for good bespoke suit tailors in Chicago?

A friend recommended Nicholas Joseph, thoughts?

Thanks

Welcome to SF.

We have a few threads on Chicago tailors that you can find with a search. I don't know Joseph, sorry.

If you're new to bespoke, you may wish to poke around and also search for some of the articles on silhouette. Take your time, meet with a few of the different tailors and find the one who will give you great fit and you can get along with best.

Good luck in your search.

jcriswel

Reaction score

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despos is the only world class tailor in Chicago and one of a handful in North America. There are cheaper 'custom' tailors in town, but none of the ones I've met will produce garments anywhere near what Despos will do. Although I cannot afford Chris' services myself there is little doubt that he is work is well worth the asking price.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...chicago+tailor

Despos is still the best!

Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
Despos is the only world class tailor in Chicago and one of a handful in North America. There are cheaper 'custom' tailors in town, but none of the ones I've met will produce garments anywhere near what Despos will do. Although I cannot afford Chris' services myself there is little doubt that he is work is well worth the asking price.

QFT. If you want the real thing, call Chris.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I have Paul Chang do all my tailoring. He's got a shop in the loop....I can't afford his totally custom pieces but really do like his alterations. Bespoke suits start at $1200, dress shirts start at $140.

paulchangcustomtailors.com

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend someone for shirts in Chicago? I've seen plenty of people give poor reviews of Chicago shirtmakers, and I've heard very little positive reviews.

I am looking for something around the Chan level of quality and attention to detail. I do visit Chan regularly, and I am a former customer of Hemrajani, but they simply cannot get my fit right, so I'd rather move on than spend more on shirts that don't fit.

JamesT

Reaction score
Despos is alright. He does, however, farm all of his work out to the tall thin guy in the back room.

That guy is the real secret to Chris' talent
tounge.gif

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's no secret any more.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
Can anyone recommend someone for shirts in Chicago? I've seen plenty of people give poor reviews of Chicago shirtmakers, and I've heard very little positive reviews.

I am looking for something around the Chan level of quality and attention to detail. I do visit Chan regularly, and I am a former customer of Hemrajani, but they simply cannot get my fit right, so I'd rather move on than spend more on shirts that don't fit.

I've given up on the lower cost Chicago and online shirt makers. If I get any further custom shirts, it will be from Despos.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
Can anyone recommend someone for shirts in Chicago?

Despos does shirts, too.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesT
Despos is alright. He does, however, farm all of his work out to the tall thin guy in the back room.

That guy is the real secret to Chris' talent
tounge.gif

hes not that tall. and not that thin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads