• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Tailors- Chicago

AT83

Reaction score
I've been getting alterations and repairs from http://kingsuit.com/en/index.htm in Arlington Heights. Web design might not be a strong point.

I've been very pleased with their work and how I am treated in their shop. They do custom suits but I've never asked about details on it since it's out of my price range.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how active Chris is on the forum these days, so I wouldn't take the lack of response as a slight. I'd suggest calling his shop.
He's not active here at the moment. Calling him is the best bet. He's the best to work with.

atoms

Reaction score
I've been getting alterations and repairs from http://kingsuit.com/en/index.htm in Arlington Heights. Web design might not be a strong point.

I've been very pleased with their work and how I am treated in their shop. They do custom suits but I've never asked about details on it since it's out of my price range.
Have you had them alter waist/hips/taper pants? What would you say the rates typically are? I use a tailor in Barrington Hills who I feel charges me a small fortune (quality is fine) but they're nice people and they "get me" so I don't mind getting bent over on occasion.

I'm so thin that almost everything I buy requires that work, same deal for shirts.

Last edited:

AT83

Reaction score
I have the opposite problem as you. I have had a couple of waists/butts expanded. (20 or 25 if I recall) Cheap uniform pants zipper replaced (maybe 30) Pants hemmed (15, this was recent) and shirt sleeves shortened (30, also recent). They also have a 10% coupon for alterations on the website that I have used the last 4 times for myself and my wife and the quality of the work and the greeting I get when I visit has not changed. I also had suit sleeves shortened just recently but I don't recall, maybe 40. I don't know if this qualifies as a small fortune. Because my clothing selection is so poor, often I spend half or more as much on alterations as I did on the clothes originally, but they now fit properly where they didn't before (sleeves) or where I could no longer wear them (pants). This is of course the whole point of going to any tailor that does a fine job regardless of price.

atoms

Reaction score
Thanks AT83, those are pretty much the same prices I pay.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys, i will try giving Chris (despos) a call. I noticed that he hadn't posted for awhile, so I wasn't upset at a lack of a response - just looking to see if there were other options available!

hopefully I can start some forward progress on this within the next month or so, at which point i will create a new thread with details, and update this thread with the direction i am going.

Thanks again!

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all - I am reviving a bit of an old thread, as some of the references listed previously may not be around (or able to be found by my searching)

I am getting married September of 2014 and looking for either a MTM or Bespoke tux (have not gotten enough information to make an appropriate judgment on that yet).  I have PM'd Chris and not received a response, I have contacted Nicholas Joseph and have an appointment with them later this month, and I also plan on stopping by Ralph Lauren while I am in the City.

At this point I am leaning towards a midnight blue, shawl collar, single button set up.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I have searched many iterations of "tuxedo chicago/MTM tuxedo Chicago/ Chicago Tailors" and this seems to be the best thread, even if it is a couple years old.

Thanks in advance,

Casey

The Depos Thread
http://www.styleforum.net/t/196460/the-despos-thread

rob

Reaction score
K,

I sent you a pm with Chris' email address. I know he will respond to that much more quickly.

Rob

Hiras Fashion

Reaction score
We frequently visit Chicago for trunk shows and we're coming back this Sept. 6th-7th, 2013. If you guys are interested in bespoke tailoring, email us for appointments [email protected]. Thanks!

Cody Hart

Reaction score
Hello Thread,

I currently work for Wilfred Newman, a custom bespoke shop located in River North. I am not here to bad mouth any of the fine establishments you have listed, but I would like to tell you the benefits of choosing WN. WN will ensure that you have an amazing experience just like everyone else, however we separate ourselves by the finish and detail we put on our garments. A custom WN suit starts at $949, and you can easily upgrade two a multiple suit and shirt package for $1900. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads