1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bespoke Tailors- Chicago

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jascot, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Chicagobudman31

Chicagobudman31 New Member

Just discoverd this forum. Thanks everyone for the great advice!

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Fair - meaning expensive to mortals, average to SFers, but very much worth it. Amazing fabric selection, old-school tailors. Great attention to detail. Owner is a great guy.

Meaning around $2k and up for SC's and $3000-4000 and up for suits I assume.

3. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

Someone asked me about them today. They're not far from my office.

4. S. Able

S. Able Senior member

That sounds about right. I want to say closer to the $3K end of that spectrum, but don't quote me on that. Has anyone had anything made up by Nick Nikiforos? His website suggests he does some custom work.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

That sounds about right. I want to say closer to the $3K end of that spectrum, but don't quote me on that. Has anyone had anything made up by Nick Nikiforos? His website suggests he does some custom work.

I did exchange a couple of emails... those prices are pretty close...

6. miomall1

miomall1 Active Member

1. Always been very pleased with DeLouice on NorthAve.
    2. The two suits I got from Nicholas Joseph are unwearable. Going with NJ resulted in a long and miserable experience.

7. furosemide

furosemide Senior member

1. Always been very pleased with DeLouice on NorthAve.
    2. The two suits I got from Nicholas Joseph are unwearable. Going with NJ resulted in a long and miserable experience.

What's the price point for DeLouice?

8. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Does anyone know Giovanni Mazza?

In 1997 I drove across country and stopped by a suit resale place in Chicago. Can't remember the name... but I bought a well-made suit w/ an inside label that read "Custom Tailored by Giovvanni Mazza, Chicago." The guy who sold me the suit told me with a wink that it probably had been made for a Chicago mobster who died before he could pick it up.

9. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Could the label possibly be "Mazzei" ?

He was an excellent tailor here in Chicago. Passed away sometime ago, Jeff Landis bought the business and absorbed it into his other business, Montopoli.

10. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Just checked. It's definitely Mazza. Thanks for your response though, D.

11. miomall1

miomall1 Active Member

What's the price point for DeLouice?

He (Adrian Park) starts @ $500. I've gone with four suits from his $650 selection, and have received complients on all of them. This is, though, MTM with the garments being made in S. Korea. His bespoke service starts @ $1,800.

12. kylelovesyou

kylelovesyou Senior member

I haven't had anything made at DeLouice, but I had him do alterations to a bunch of garments (as did my then-gf) and we were both very unimpressed with the work.

13. miomall1

miomall1 Active Member

^I'm surprised to hear that; I've been pleased with him (excepting one unfortunate shirt sleeve-shortening experience). It seems you and I have had mirror opposite experiences with DeLouice and Nicholas Joseph.

14. Clever Endeavor

Clever Endeavor New Member

I'm brand new, and searching mightily through the millions of threads here. I'm in the suburbs (Northwest), and was wondering if there was a name or two for good alterations. I'm not in the market to buy a complete suit, but I have shirts, jackets, sport coats, and slacks I would like to get "fitted" for me.

I've always had the "gentleman" inside me, but I'm only now beginning to dress as one outwardly. Quite an undertaking.

Blake

15. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Senior member

so glad this thread was revived and that i found it

16. Metooxx

Metooxx Active Member

Does my alterations. Great guy. Not sure he still does full bespoke...

17. jonuiuc

jonuiuc Active Member

I had a M2M suit made by DeLouice (Adrian Park). He does a good job of fitting, I needed zero adjustments when the suit arrived. I got the most entry level $500 suit, judging by the fabric swatch I was worried that the material would be too light and thin, but as a finished garment it feels great. By far the most comfortable, best fitting and looking suit I've ever owned (admittedly I've owned some pretty poor suits, my previous best being a Bachrach suit). First one I got was Navy, saving up for Charcoal and Medium grey to round out my rotation.

Adrian did some alterations for me as well, original hem on jeans ($25), tack vents/side alterations on sport coats ($70), shorten should width ($80). I'm pleased with the quality of work. He will give you his opinion, but he will do what you ask.

18. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Maybe it's just me, but do there seem to be an inordinate amount of people who recommend Despos, followed with the caveat "...I've never used him though"?

19. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

That's because he's this forum's outlet of incredibly detailed technical information. Though few of us can afford him, he unquestionably knows his shit. Another tailor on this forum dissects high end garments and evidently Despos gets his approval as well.

20. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Despos is pretty good. But I've never used him for sportcoats. Suits, yes; Overcoats, yes; shirts, yes; trousers, yes - but never sportcoats. Granted, I refuse to own a sportscoat.

But, when it comes to bespoke, you always want to find the tailor that works best for you. Do that and you'll be pretty happy.