Bespoke Swaine Adeney project

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Jun 28, 2006.

1. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I was in Swaine Adeney today. Saw some soft, unstructured holdalls that are made of bridle leather that is half the thickness that used on SA's traditonal holdalls.

I thought aloud - how lovely would it be if SA made an unstructured briefcase of the same half thickness bridle. Guess what - SA has a bespoke service and could make a one-off design given a good lead time.

So here I am starting to think about how I would like my little bespoke briefcase to be. First and most important - it has to be soft and light. The use of half thickness bridle will help with weight. Softness could probably be achieved by omitting a frame.

In terms of function, it would have to hold a notebook computer, some files, and a pair or two of shoes when I am travelling. It must also be able to sit comfortably on a carry-on luggage to be wheeled around.

My initial thought is to base the design on a Mandarina Duck briefcase that I use for travel right now. I have some ideas in mind, but would welcome some design inspiration. Fire away please.

2. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

a briefcase which can hold a pair or two of shoes?

it must be pretty darn big!

3. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Large when necessary, but soft structure so there is little bulk when not stuffed up.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I thought aloud - how lovely would it be if SA made an unstructured briefcase of the same half thickness bridle. Guess what - SA has a bespoke service and could make a one-off design given a good lead time.
    If you've got the money, honey, they've got the time.

5. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you've got the money, honey, they've got the time.

Funny how many things in the world work on that singular principle.

6. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I have not heard from them after sending some sketches several weeks ago. Guess SA's customer service is not that hot, considering I called them to alert them of my incoming inquiry and that the manager promised to get back to me in 1 week.

7. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Kolecho, did you eventually push through with your project? Did you succeed in getting a case with no straps to your liking, or is the one with straps that you got still better despite the difficulty of having to unfasten the straps each time?

8. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I have not heard from them after sending some sketches several weeks ago. Guess SA's customer service is not that hot, considering I called them to alert them of my incoming inquiry and that the manager promised to get back to me in 1 week.

I have a friend who had a briefcase made from a custom shoemaker (it was either Cleverley or Foster, I cannot remember). It turned out beautifully - that may be another option.