1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bespoke Suits in HK

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sklim8, Aug 8, 2012.

1. GBR

GBR Senior member

You surprise me - there are more threads than enough on HK tailors. The message will always be you get what you pay for and the general satisfaction that people here have drawn from Chan, Yao, Yu is surely sufficient for you.

2. sklim8

sklim8 Member

Thank you very much. I will look into them as well!

3. sklim8

sklim8 Member

Thanks very much for your input. Your description on the effect of use of softer? canvas definitely makes me want to look into the higher end stuff.

4. sklim8

sklim8 Member

Hi GBR. I certainly did not mean to surprise you, and apologies for my ignorance. Certainly do not mean to annoy you either.

I understand that you will get more for Chan, Yao and Yu than you would for paying less at LB (you get what you pay for).

My question was not really about that, but what the difference was between those three (red gang?) v. LB - i.e. what am I paying for with the extra 6000HKD exactly? I am getting more, but what is that "more"? Perhaps, as you say, the answers to my questions are already out there. But I've searched for hours in this forum, and that is where the gap (at least in my readings) was, which I was curious about.

Please don't feel obligated to answer - just trying to explain what my questions were geared towards (which I perhaps may not have stated well enough).

5. phillycheese

phillycheese Well-Known Member

SK, the answer that you seek will not be found in SF, unless there are people here with examples from both tailors. The examples should also be recent as the quality has changed. The examples should also be assuming full fittings since I would hazard a guess that many here have only experienced Chan oversea visit suits which in theory should not fit as well as those in HK that can go for multiple fittings. Since you live in HK why not go to both places and examine their samples. Talk to the tailors and see if they make you feel comfortable. Then you would be in a better position to judge if it is worth it to you.

Word of advice, tailors charge what the market will pay, and if they are extremely busy they will be able to charge more. Not unlike popular brands there is some premium in the brand name as well, so a popular brand you are getting some assurances of the quality and will have to pay for this.

6. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

You live in Hong Kong?

7. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

I live in Hong Kong, are you Chinese?

8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

9. sklim8

sklim8 Member

Hi Phillycheese.

Understood and very logical answer. I guess it is inevitable that I would have to end up doing some trial and error. :) My goal was to minimize that error by getting as much info as possible, go to the one I felt was best (based on information gathered) and hope that one sticks. If I'm happy, I'll just keep going back.

I guess looking back, it's obvious my other motive was to check which price point was my "sweet spot". Of course I will get more with Chan, but would I have been happy with LB (i.e. as a newbie, does it make sense to pay 6000 more for something I can't/don't even appreciate).

In the end, I'm just trying to cheat a bit with all your knowledge/experience, but I know I'll have to put the money down at some point. :)

10. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

鈴鐺清楚叮噹

Well you get me

11. Classic Car

Nice to know a person like who has excellent knowledge in classical menswear who lives in Hong Kong.

12. phillycheese

phillycheese Well-Known Member

SK, I was in your situation too. Wanted a bespoke, didn't know where to go. Did some internet research and found SF. Looked at what qualities made a good suit and then went searching for tailors and doing research. Talked to them and decided to go with one who I thought knew what I was after. The fact a friend recommended them also helped. Trusted my instincts and ordered a suit. Now a very satisfied bespoke suit owner. You live in HK, get out there and do your own research. Relying on the internet will not get you that last step before you pull the trigger. Most people here only exposed to HK tailors through their overseas trip. That makes their experiences somewhat irrelevant to your situation. Why? because you can go back for multiple fittings, be a lot more picky and can actually work with a tailor to get you what you want, and you probably speak the language. Because there are a number of good tailors that do not go overseas and charge less than the top ones. Trust your instincts, and find that tailor who you feel comfortable with. If you feel they're leading you where you don't want to go, leave. It doesn't matter if they are Yao or Chan or whoever gets great reviews here. Pay what you can afford and what it is worthwhile to you.

13. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Are you sure you want to go to a HK tailor for a "Napoli" style suit? I mean i know WW chan does a soft shoulder model from pics posted up here but it might be asking a bit much to get them to make you a pure napoli suit like what you get from rubinacci and NSM.

14. sklim8

sklim8 Member

Hi Philycheese, sage words of advice. I guess I need to study a little more on what I want, but ultimately just take the leap of faith at some point.

15. sklim8

sklim8 Member

Jeff, haha not "sure" but definitely want to try it at some point. Perhaps I should wait for "Napoli" for when I take a trip there? (or when they visit)

16. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Well to be honest WW Chan does cut a pretty nice suit, but then again I've never seen them try an attempt a full on Naples style one. It might be too far out of their comfort zone, but in the end its really up to you if you want to risk it. Tailors are trained in a certain style, which is why you see all the A&S alum (mahon, steed, hitchcock) still cutting their suits similar to A&S but with slight deviaitons. My advise to you is if you really want a Naples style suit rather than gamble $2000+ on something that might come out horribly wrong, just go straight to the source. When i got my suit made at NSM the prices were not that far off to warrant me risking it. Another thing is a suit could have the details of a naples suit meaning it would have the wider lapels, higher gorge, 3 roll 2, etc but it won't feel like a naples suit which for me is the biggest draw. I never really liked how they looked because imo they make your head look big and the jackets are short (probably my own fault here but i told mina i wanted a standard naples suit), but i love the way they feel on you, and a HK tailor might not be able to duplicate that.

17. Classic Car

I agree. Naple style are better for those body structures like south italian. It does not mean it will look good on everybody. If people with big head, very sloppy shoulders, tall and slim with long legs and arms, Naples style may not look good.