• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke suits, (I have used the search function already).

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is a reason some of us are trying to steer you away from MTM - it can go horribly wrong. And then you're stuck with it. It's not like it guarantees you a better fitting suit. In addition, there is much that determines the look of a suit besides the "fit". Each jacket also has a "silhouette", which is different from "fit".

When choosing between RTW jackets, you have a really large number of options available to you, and you can see basically what they'll look like on you before buying (again remembering that almost certainly some alteration will be needed). With MTM, to some extent you're going in blind, trying to predict what the thing will look like once it's done. I would suggest getting a little more experience with suit-wearing and suit-buying before doing this. You could say, find a maker that does RTW and MTM, make sure that you like the RTW silhouette and overall look, and then decide to do a MTM version of one of their RTW suits. But any such maker would well exceed your price target. I hope this is helpful.

perthjay85

Reaction score
thanks for the advice everyone.
It may be something I put off for a while then. I understand its a tall order to find something I wanted on my budget but we all have to start somewhere. In the meantime I might try and save some money by buying a half devent suit that is larger than I need and get it tailored so that over the next few months I at least have something to wear.

Thanks once again

Jay

dorolf07

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The way I see it bespoke suits are fully customizable in respect to the individual's body measurements. Pricing may vary because there are variables relative to creating a suit and again it depends on the person's specifications such as fabric, style, detailing, etc.

dingdongbell

Reaction score
Hi Jay,

To be honest with you, if you are looking for bespoke/MTM service in Perth or Australia you need to increase your budget. For your budget, I recommend you to either go to Singapore or Hong Kong (when you travelling of course...) For that price you can get a good (above average) tailor with reasonable fabric.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With your budget in mind, try Bookster. Might not be exactly in the same budget as you're shooting for, but it's close, and you won't find much better with the money you have.

perthjay85

Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks for your replies. I would love to be able to travel but mortgage and unemployed partner currently makes that near on impossible but that is definitely on my list.

Hopefully soon.

I have been adding all of these notes to my list. At the moment I'm an no great need of a suit so I do have time on my side, so I think my best option is going to be putting it on hold,

Thanks everyone.

By the way has anyone dealt with Himark Martin tailors?
I see they have a scoopon for $349 which includes suit made to measure within two weeks.
I am always a little skeptical of things like this, seeing as it is one of those possibly to good to be true deals.

Cheers in advance.

Jay

perthjay85

Reaction score
TheWraith I can't seem to get your link to work. Can you pm the address if it is not allowed to be posted on the forum. Cheers
Jay

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you can kinda see what MTM would look like, if you can find a tailor who does MTM in your area. If you're lucky you might even be able to find a place where the pattern can be altered enough to change the silhouette itself. And if not, you can try on one of their jackets and see if you like the cut. But I would stay away from online MTM for the reasons unbelragazzo stated above.

kingster

Reaction score
When I started wearing suits I didn't have enough budget for it so I resorted to mtm but eventually I tried my luck with bespoke. So if you're on a tight budget and just want to wear suits because you like to, just go for mtm.

perthjay85

Reaction score
I am starting to understand the intricacies involved in suit making between mtm and bespoke. cheers
seeing as bespoke is a long way out of my price range and I really want a nice fitting suit I will get a mtm suit from a local company in perth.

I will go for a wander on sunday and have a look at some of the suit companies in perth and get the general feel and take it from there.

Cheers everyone

Jay

perthjay85

Reaction score
Thanks Makoto,
I read through his site, it shows that he recommends 2-3 visits before a suit is finished.
How does this work when he visits cities? Does anyone know or is it just a bit of blind luck involved that it works out from one fitting???

Thanks jay

perthjay85

Reaction score
Thanks for that Wraith.
Main page pictures look pretty decent so I think your right, now that thus problem is slowly sorting itself out I'm gonna have to start asking some advice on new footwear.
But that can wait.

Thanks all for the advice.

Jay

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads