• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Suit Tips Before Meeting Tailor?

garthbernstein

Reaction score
I am scheduled to meet Riccardo Verolo of Sartoria Lemmi in Italy, what suggestions do you have for preparing for the meeting? I know I want a tan/off white linen suit, and can choose the basics in advance, but do you have a process/tips that help you get the absolute most out of the bespoke process?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Stand naturally when being measured and fitted. Bespoke clothes are meant to fit not only your body's measurements but also your natural posture.

I also recommend going with a slightly heavier fabric. Lightweight linens can wrinkle in an unpleasing way -- sort of like Kleenex tissue. Whereas heavy linens rumple more than wrinkle.

Lastly, if this is your first bespoke suit and/ or you're relatively new to high-end tailoring, I recommend staying conservative with your choices, so this can be something you'll wear for a long time. Stay close to the language of classic men's dress. If you're doing a single-breasted linen suit, do a three-roll two or two-button, notch lapels, etc.

garthbernstein

Reaction score
Stand naturally when being measured and fitted. Bespoke clothes are meant to fit not only your body's measurements but also your natural posture.

I also recommend going with a slightly heavier fabric. Lightweight linens can wrinkle in an unpleasing way -- sort of like Kleenex tissue. Whereas heavy linens rumple more than wrinkle.

Lastly, if this is your first bespoke suit and/ or you're relatively new to high-end tailoring, I recommend staying conservative with your choices, so this can be something you'll wear for a long time. Stay close to the language of classic men's dress. If you're doing a single-breasted linen suit, do a three-roll two or two-button, notch lapels, etc.

Thx, I like the idea of a DB irish linen (off white/tan/etc.) as I do not have a summer suit.

yanagi

Reaction score
As a general tip, don't micro-manage the tailor.
  1. Tell them what you want (e.g. DB, 6x2, double vents)
  2. Answer questions that they ask you during the fittings.
  3. If something feels off, speak up.
Otherwise, trust them and just enjoy the process.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I agree with DWW - if this is your first bespoke, play it safe. Get it in a style you already wear frequently.

When I first got into bespoke tailoring, I made the judgement error of getting the stuff I felt I couldn't get off-the-rack. Double breasted that actually fit me, unusual fabrics, peak lapels. Those early suits are now spectacular but rarely worn because my dressing habits didn't actually involve a lot of double breasted or chalk stripe flannel. I sometimes find an excuse to put them on, but they get less use TOGETHER than one of my later bespoke jackets (that is less spectacular but far more wearable).

Of course, if you're already a big DB wearer, that might not apply. But I really would suggest you order something in a style you know you will get lots of wear out of.

Irish linen is a great summer fabric, I would probably go tan over off-white since off-white stains so much easier, and you really don't want to have to clean a bespoke suit too often.

Best of luck!

garthbernstein

Reaction score
I agree with DWW - if this is your first bespoke, play it safe. Get it in a style you already wear frequently.

When I first got into bespoke tailoring, I made the judgement error of getting the stuff I felt I couldn't get off-the-rack. Double breasted that actually fit me, unusual fabrics, peak lapels. Those early suits are now spectacular but rarely worn because my dressing habits didn't actually involve a lot of double breasted or chalk stripe flannel. I sometimes find an excuse to put them on, but they get less use TOGETHER than one of my later bespoke jackets (that is less spectacular but far more wearable).

Of course, if you're already a big DB wearer, that might not apply. But I really would suggest you order something in a style you know you will get lots of wear out of.

Irish linen is a great summer fabric, I would probably go tan over off-white since off-white stains so much easier, and you really don't want to have to clean a bespoke suit too often.

Best of luck!

Thank you! This is my fourth bespoke/semi bespoke MTM suit, I do love the feel and look of the two DB that I have already. Agreed on the tan, off white linen, Lyle Roblin has a great DB linen on IG that I love.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listen to them when it comes to the specifics of the cloth. The tailor knows how the cloth performs against the tailor's work.

Luckily, it sounds like you're open minded on this and just have the style in mind and can determine together accordingly.

Looking forward to seeing the result. I like what I have seen of Lemmi online.

garthbernstein

Reaction score
Listen to them when it comes to the specifics of the cloth. The tailor knows how the cloth performs against the tailor's work.

Luckily, it sounds like you're open minded on this and just have the style in mind and can determine together accordingly.

Looking forward to seeing the result. I like what I have seen of Lemmi online.

I like your tip and the previous tips to give the tailor the general guidelines and then follow his lead, that makes it easier than learning/memorizing how suits are made!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is a tan/off white linen suit useful in your wardrobe? Do you often have occasions this is appropriate for? How long is the season you could wear this? If you are starting now, you may not get it until the end of summer or even fall, not knowing their turn around time.
From the tailor's side, off white linen is a difficult first suit. You cannot see tailor's chalk well on that color. It's a pain to cut and work on for that reason. Linen creases and leaves crease lines. I never press seams or edges on linen during the fitting stage, only when I'm sure of the fit. The crease line may not come out if I have to lengthen or let out seams to make things bigger. Both hand and machine stitching can leave remnant holes in the cloth if things need to be let out.
Linen drapes differently than wool and this varies amongst the various weights of linen.
Have found many clients can't verbalize what they like when ordering a suit so I ask what hasn't worked for you in the past. Good to know what irritates you about the fit, feel or look of clothing you have and the things you struggle with. You can also communicate the recurring adjustments you need in how other clothes fit. Roll under the collar, tight armholes, restrictive movement, baggy seat on the trouser, trouser doesn't stay up, etc.
Know your preferences, like your tolerance for how close to the body or how easy you like the jacket to fit. How trim you like the trouser leg. Do you prefer a full or trim chest. How much expression do you like with waist suppression. Your general likes and dislikes.
This is the type of info that guides your tailor when fitting the suit. Very hard for a tailor to know how to fit you if he doesn't have an idea of your preferences in how you want the clothes to feel when you wear them. You may want a looser feel or not feel right in a jacket unless the jacket is hugging close to the body. Bottom line/long term appeal is you will enjoy the clothes that feel the best to you because the fit is is in line with your preferences of what feels right to you over the style of the suit.

garthbernstein

Reaction score
Is a tan/off white linen suit useful in your wardrobe? Do you often have occasions this is appropriate for? How long is the season you could wear this? If you are starting now, you may not get it until the end of summer or even fall, not knowing their turn around time.
From the tailor's side, off white linen is a difficult first suit. You cannot see tailor's chalk well on that color. It's a pain to cut and work on for that reason. Linen creases and leaves crease lines. I never press seams or edges on linen during the fitting stage, only when I'm sure of the fit. The crease line may not come out if I have to lengthen or let out seams to make things bigger. Both hand and machine stitching can leave remnant holes in the cloth if things need to be let out.
Linen drapes differently than wool and this varies amongst the various weights of linen.
Have found many clients can't verbalize what they like when ordering a suit so I ask what hasn't worked for you in the past. Good to know what irritates you about the fit, feel or look of clothing you have and the things you struggle with. You can also communicate the recurring adjustments you need in how other clothes fit. Roll under the collar, tight armholes, restrictive movement, baggy seat on the trouser, trouser doesn't stay up, etc.
Know your preferences, like your tolerance for how close to the body or how easy you like the jacket to fit. How trim you like the trouser leg. Do you prefer a full or trim chest. How much expression do you like with waist suppression. Your general likes and dislikes.
This is the type of info that guides your tailor when fitting the suit. Very hard for a tailor to know how to fit you if he doesn't have an idea of your preferences in how you want the clothes to feel when you wear them. You may want a looser feel or not feel right in a jacket unless the jacket is hugging close to the body. Bottom line/long term appeal is you will enjoy the clothes that feel the best to you because the fit is is in line with your preferences of what feels right to you over the style of the suit.

Perfect, I will make notes on my current suits on what I "like" and "do not like" for the tailor

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
Pardon me, I know that this has gone cold, but I thought of potentially useful advice from my own experience:

Think about small, practical details that you might have specific preferences about, but that a tailor might by default overlook or execute in a different way than you prefer. The first suit that Joseph Genuardi made for me lacked a pen pocket and the ticket pocket was too small for my card wallet, which holds my transit pass. This has been corrected for subsequent work, but I would have preferred to have taken it into account from the start. (I did, however, at least remember to ask for some additional features on the waistcoat to accommodate a pocket watch and no back pockets on the trousers)

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Know the side on which you dress beforehand. It makes things less awkward.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads