• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Suit Terms

TwentySomthing

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am interested in getting my first Bespoke suit and I am attempting to find a thread or post with a majority of the terms that I might need but I have met with little luck so far. I am attempting to educate myself as much as possible before I take the dive. Any help? Cheers.

TwentySomthing

Reaction score
I have read that thread and while it offers up a lot and is a great starting off point it still leaves some terms unexplained and a bit to be desired.

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
If you find yourself needing to ask about anything technical in regards to your first suit you have the wrong maker.
+1

Most clients know far less about clothing than many people here - some don't even choose their own fabrics. As long as you trust your tailor (important) you don't really need to know more than single/double breasted, and the number of buttons.

TwentySomthing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesT
+1 Most clients know far less about clothing than many people here - some don't even choose their own fabrics. As long as you trust your tailor (important) you don't really need to know more than single/double breasted, and the number of buttons.
I understand that point of view and I have just chosen a reputable tailor. But it is also for my personal knowledge and curiosity, I happen to be very interested about the process and I felt that a little more knowledge in the terminology would help. Besides, if i want something changed, added, or taken away, wouldn't it be useful for me to know some of the terminology? After all crafting one is an art form and it takes time, effort, and input from both sides. If I want a bespoke suit, I want it because, of the design, fit, craftsmanship, ect...and if I am going to be the one wearing it why wouldn't I want to be involved in its creation? It would be nice to be at least a bit more involved, at the very least pick my own fabric. It's my first one so I am excited and I want to learn.

JamesT

Reaction score
I just didn't want you to worry that you had to know all these things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics