1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bespoke suit, one or two pants?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Feb 14, 2005.

1. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

it will never smell as good as a new pair of shoes

I seem to recall Alex stating that he wears New Balance brand sneakers with his suits; I suppose the ones with the neon N on them.

If I am remembering correctly, then the only new shoe smell he would be familiar with is a vague concoction of plastic, formaldehide, moth balls and, perhaps, the sweat of cheap labor.

Of course, I am probably not remembering correctly...

2. sofie150827

sofie150827 Member

Often, there is one extra pant for the suit.
    That is what i get before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Depends on how quickly you wear through your trousers. Depending on physiology, way of moving etc. you may wear the trousers out long before the coat reaches its end of life. I know for sure that this is the case for me. Soooo, if you know that the tailor has nailed your pattern down and you will love the suit, I'd get a second pair.

4. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I don't really encourage the practice but I expect people to turn over suits more often these days. With cotton suits or light colored suits I do encourage it, nothing worse than ruining a three piece white suit by spilling chocolate ice cream on the trousers!

5. Allwhitebuffies

Allwhitebuffies Member

Is Kabbaz serious, or just a troll? I live on the UES, and have an a place in amagansett (inherited) and he reminds me why I hate both places and want to move down south. Hello, its 2017, living on the UES and working on park ave isnt exactly something to be proud of in 2017. The funny part is NY is backwards as hell, and 30 years behind the rest of the country in just about everything.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  6. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

what is wrong with living on the UES?

7. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Guess no better diet than wearing a white suit ;-)

8. Allwhitebuffies

Allwhitebuffies Member

Quote:Not to distract, but nothing intrinsically. I lived here on purpose due to the sheer amount of children making it a great place for my kids. However, lets face it, the restaurants are zzzzz, the bars are zzzzz, basically everything is zzzz about it except for the amount of children thus making it incredible if you have children (I cant imagine a better place to be on Halloween). There are many (usually older) people who seem to have a similar attitude as Kabbaz, that think living on the UES, and having a place in Amagansett is something that gives you bragging rights. In my circles (and I am likely 30 years younger than Kabbaz) most people react with "Oh you live on the UES, that sucks" rather than "Oh wow, the UES, how fancy". There is an attitude that is prevalent in many people age 40+ in this neighborhood that is in my opinion 20 years behind. The new generation does not think the pinnacle of life is living on the UES, working on Park ave, and summering in Amagansett. That being said...I do all three of those, so I guess I am somewhat of a hypocrite. Anyway, I would always buy 2 pairs of pants with a bespoke suit, and I will if I ever decide to get one. I tend to run through suit pats many many years before the jackets go.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  9. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

^ I kind of like the UES. I make the haul every morning from Tribeca to take my daughter to school and it's always quiet and scenic (at least from 5th through Madison). I suppose it's a little non-descript as you get farther east, but the rents are reasonable and it has an outsized share of the best schools. I think I could live there happily.

I've never even considered ordering a second pair of trousers. Bespoke isn't timeless just because it's bespoke. There is a stylistic element. Chances are that you'll be tired of wearing the pants before the pants are tired of being worn by you.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  10. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

If is going to be one of the staple suits as the solid navy, solid grey etc, I would ask for two pair of trousers.