1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bespoke Suit Made in Singapore (PICS - Advice Needed)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by b3n84, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

^Hi hymo, this thread makes me all the more want use that tailor you found in Kuala Lumpur. I assume the OP's suit here probably costs more than yours (~$300)?

I can't believe that the OP's tailor actually intends this to be the appearance of the final suit- I'm guessing he just gets the cut "roughly" conforming to the customer's the body then assumes the actual sewers (which you say are in Malaysia) clean it up a bit when they actually construct it. In other words, maybe it ends up being a sort of MTM feigning as bespoke.

2. hymo

hymo Well-Known Member

Svenn, my experience is that a basted suit looks pretty crumpled and drapey in the bad sort of way during the fittings. Typically, all the pulls and creases you see will be dramatically reduced once made up due to all the ironing that goes into it. The back, however, will keep all the drape you see here. No amount of ironing will make 2 inches of excess cloth go away. (Especially not when they have no intention to do so.)

I'm pretty sure the suit will be made up in Malaysia. The labor cost here is just dramatically lower than in Singapore. There are also suit factories in Malaysia; they're staffed with Bangladeshis who do all the handwork. They service many of the tailoring shop proprietors in Malaysia.

OP: How do you know this suit will be "fully canvassed"?

3. b3n84

b3n84 Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. As you probably know, I have a terrible eye for this sort of thing and will bring the comments to Joe's. I have another fitting, and if neccessary, will ask for 2-3 to more to make this thing perfect. I'll also try to take better pictures...

any recommendations on what angles I should be taking the pictures of the next fitting with?

4. gshen

gshen Well-Known Member

5. ginghaman

ginghaman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  6. dappledown

dappledown Well-Known Member

Just curious...How much did u pay for that?

7. manofstyle

manofstyle Well-Known Member

8. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. As you probably know, I have a terrible eye for this sort of thing and will bring the comments to Joe's. I have another fitting, and if neccessary, will ask for 2-3 to more to make this thing perfect. I'll also try to take better pictures...

any recommendations on what angles I should be taking the pictures of the next fitting with?

The best angle is with the suit off! I initially thought that was a short tux jacket!
    Be wary of tailors when they drink during the fittings!

9. the_sartorialist

the_sartorialist Well-Known Member

Any chance of posting the final pictures of your suit to let us readers know how it went? And I would be curious to know what you had to pay for that Loro Piana as well.