• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke suit, decided to take the plunge

Paulo100

Reaction score
I have always wanted to have a suit made by a top tailor. The cost has always been a barrier, as I am sure it is for many, but for several reasons I have decided to go for it at last, and have ordered what I hope will be a beautiful, long term investment (That's how I am justifying it to myself and my wife anyway)
smile.gif

I am about to head off to China on a business trip, meeting several contacts to discuss the development of a busines plan I have been working on.
I have convinced myself that my off the peg suits just will not do in these circumstances, and that the only way is to have one made just for me!
I live in London so Savile Row was my obvious destination. I have had my first fitting and am waiting with some excitment for the 2nd (3rd, 4th?) visit to see the final results.
I will post some pictures for anyone who might be interested, once I have my hands on the thing.
I have gone for a beautiful dark blue mid weight material and as far as the actual design is concerned I have tried to pitch it as a business suit erring towards fasion, I suppose the Mad Men look would best describe what I am trying to acheive. I have always liked a slim cut anyway, so nothing new for me there.
When I was having my first measuring session and I was being grilled by the tailor as to what I wanted in great detail (that's good of course, it's what you are paying for ultimately) I told him that it might be easier to say what I did not want, which was to feel swamped in material, both in the length of the sleeves, length of jacket etc.
His response was a slightly withering look combined with 'I think Sir can be assured that we tend not to make suits that fit that description here'
eh.gif

I had to suppress a laugh.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I haven't decided if your post is very interesting or very boring.

It could go either way.

- B

alebrady

Reaction score
What tailor did you select? Any chance of pics during the fitting process?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Paulo100
Thanks Vox, a nice warm welcome to a new member
smile.gif

Well we never have to agonize over deciding about his posts, the evidence is clear for all to see.

Good luck with your suit. Remember you are the boss so you can be advised by the tailor and respect his experience but like Dubya, you are The Decider. I was just picturing the tailor saying with a sniff "I think Sir can be assured ..."
laugh.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And your tailor is? Now, now ... we are your friends ... no secrets.

Mad Men ... Savile Row ... who could you be using?

Paul Jheeta by chance?

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was growing up, the etiquette for a trolling thread about Savile Row required you to ask how the different businesses were rated by forum members. Now look what we have to deal with--smart-aleck kids who talk back to Vox, for the love of Jesus.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have not troubled to tell which tailor has benefited (?) from, your commission. Indeed you tell us little about the commission - upon what detail were you questioned and what response did you offer?

i too am unsure what to make of your post.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
When I was growing up, the etiquette for a trolling thread about Savile Row required you to ask how the different businesses were rated by forum members. Now look what we have to deal with--smart-aleck kids who talk back to Vox, for the love of Jesus.

Is that comment aimed at me? A long time since anyone accused me of being a kid. Sorry if I didn't apply the commensurate level of sycophantic obsequiousness, I'm still a bit new around here and haven't figured out exactly which posters are deserving of a constant rimming no matter what tedious and uninformative bollocks they post, and who are their slavering lapdogs. Should I add you to the list?

enzoangelo

Reaction score
Good luck and enjoy the process. One of my favorite things about this forum is the wealth of knowledge particularly in the area of bespoke suit construction. Congrats on your purchase!

Icarus

Reaction score
My tailor, Allen Edmonds, isn't taking new clients, but if you PM'd me I could have gotten you a fitting with him.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mad Men ... Savile Row . ?

Mad Men is the antihesis of Savile Row in style.
It's mid-century or sixties Ivy League. In the case of
Don Draper, it's not even Ivy but kind of "slim"
Ivy derived. True Ivy came from Brooks, J Press,
Paul Stuart, Langrock, Chipp, etc. Today
O'Connells, and/or The Andover Shop represent
relatively "pure"expressions of the style:

http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/

http://www.theandovershop.com/

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
Mad Men ... Savile Row . ?

Mad Men is the antihesis of Savile Row in style.
It's mid-century or sixties Ivy League. In the case of
Don Draper, it's not even Ivy but kind of "slim"
Ivy derived. True Ivy came from Brooks, J Press,
Paul Stuart, Langrock, Chipp, etc. Today
O'Connells, and/or The Andover Shop represent
relatively "pure"expressions of the style:

http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/

http://www.theandovershop.com/

inlove.gif

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Paul Jheeta by chance?

It's been awhile since iammatt posted his Jheeta, so it will be nice to see some new samples if the OP has indeed gone to Savile Row's very own.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads