• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Suit Button Question

Phildominator

Reaction score
I got a custom made suit made in China - single breasted, 2 button. The tailor made the distance between the buttons 12 cm. It looks weird to me. I measured my other American-bought jackets and the button distance measures 9 cm.

Is there a standard measurement for the distance between jacket buttons? If I were to get a 3 button suit made, would the distance be the same as the 2 button suit (9cm) or less (maybe 7.5 cm)?

FYI, I'm a pretty standard fellow at 5'8" 160 lbs.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The distance between the buttons depends on the cut of the suit, which in turn depends on the person wearing it. American two-button suits, to my knowledge, have their buttons placed rather low and close together. I've learned through personal experience that buttons placed close together tend to emphasize the waist, while buttons spaced wider give the suit a more columnar appearance.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no standard measurement at all.

The distance will hinge on the "button stance" - i.e. how high the buttons are up the jacket. In the 80s, button stance was very low, and thus on a two button suit, the buttons were very close.

Today, a high button stance is in style. Your suit is currently in style, with the top button is higher up the jacket. therefore it makes sense for there to be greater distance between the buttons.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'm with the others here in thinking that you are better off with greater button distance and higher stance. I think it looks much better that way. It looks much more refined and balanced to my eye.

johnw86

Reaction score
Just checked my jacket--12 cm.
wink.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The old Savile Row default position is 4.5" between buttons, measured from the center of each button. 4.5" is about 11.5 cm. This can be increased or decreased depending on a person's height. Spacing also depends on the placement of the jacket's waist. On low-waisted jackets, the buttons should be slightly closer together. On American-style low waisted two-button suits, the buttons should be much closer together.

9 cm (3.5") is quite a small distance. If the suit's waist is very low, it might be necessary, however. Personally, I prefer a higher waist and more widely spaced buttons.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
One more thing: oddly enough, the people who benefit from more widely spaced buttons are the very tall, and the very short.  The tall benefit as a matter of proportion, obviously.  The short benefit because a wider gap between buttons helps to elongate the look of the coat, and give an impression of extra height.  Also, the opening of the coat's front pockets are supposed to line up with the bottom button.  When the pockets are low, there is a nice long distance between pocket and shoulder, and thus a nice long expanse of coat cloth, which also has an elongating effect.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a custom made suit made in China - single breasted, 2 button.  The tailor made the distance between the buttons 12 cm.  It looks weird to me.  I measured my other American-bought jackets and the button distance measures 9 cm.

Is there a standard measurement for the distance between jacket buttons?  If I were to get a 3 button suit made, would the distance be the same as the 2 button suit (9cm) or less (maybe 7.5 cm)?

FYI, I'm a pretty standard fellow at 5'8" 160 lbs.
Sir, would you tell us the city or region where you had the suit made? H.

Phildominator

Reaction score
(Phildominator @ 22 Nov. 2004, 7:31) I got a custom made suit made in China - single breasted, 2 button. Â The tailor made the distance between the buttons 12 cm. Â It looks weird to me. Â I measured my other American-bought jackets and the button distance measures 9 cm. Is there a standard measurement for the distance between jacket buttons? Â If I were to get a 3 button suit made, would the distance be the same as the 2 button suit (9cm) or less (maybe 7.5 cm)? FYI, I'm a pretty standard fellow at 5'8" 160 lbs.
Sir, would you tell us the city or region where you had the suit made? Â H.
The city of Suzhou in the Zhejiang Province. It's about a 2 hour drive west of Shanghai.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads