• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Sport Jacket Sleeve Length

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
At least one, more often two or three.

Two or 3 fittings total including a basted fitting or two or 3 basted fittings?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For a new customer, one might expect four visits-

Measurements
Skeleton
Forward
Final

Sounds like he skipped out on two of these. I tend to agree with Chris- probably a factory MTM.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
For a new customer, one might expect four visits-

Measurements
Skeleton
Forward
Final

Sounds like he skipped out on two of these. I tend to agree with Chris- probably a factory MTM.

Perhaps all four were skipped.

- B

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Gave thee clothing of delight,
Softest clothing, woolly, bright.

- Blake

Originally Posted by sanadan
I guess I'm dense as I'm not sure what you are trying to imply with this poem.

Off-hand I suspect he quotes The Lamb as an oblique reference to your slaughter.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Off-hand I suspect he quotes The Lamb as an oblique reference to your slaughter.

sanadan

Reaction score
Besides the concerns mentioned in this thread so far my concerns are:
1) Sleeve width at wrist. This feels really large to me, but I have no comparison as this is my only jacket. Should there be a lot of room here?
2) The excess material on the sleeve at the armhole. Shouldn't this silhouette be a lot more sleek?
3) Waist... someone mentioned waist problems? What specifically?
4) Jacket length... is it too long?

Well, I am going to take the jacket back tomorrow (if I can get away) and would appreciate any further productive criticism that can help improve this jacket. The above four questions are some concerns I have that I would appreciate comments on (I appreciate all comments).

So far I will be talking to him about:
1) Rolls behind my neck
2) Sleeve length
3) Excess material on my upper arm.

sanadan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1

I am humbled by people who are able to do this. (Quote some obscure passive as an oblique reference to something... It is very intelligent and makes me feel quite insecure with regards to my own intelligence... c'est la vie.)

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am humbled by people who are able to do this. (Quote some obscure passive as an oblique reference to something... It is very intelligent and makes me feel quite insecure with regards to my own intelligence... c'est la vie.)

TouchÃ
00a9.png

You like the pants that the tailor made for you, right? If you can, muster up a front, side and back shot of your jacket with your made-to-measure trousers rather than with jeans.

It will be easier to tell what you might ask your tailor to adjust if we can see it with something besides jeans.

If not, I think that you have a reasonable list to discuss with him.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think that the three items on your list remain worth discussing.

If you are wearing your pants at the waist level that you like, you might also consider having them shortened a bit to get a cleaner line. A degree of break is personal preference, but even with full breaking pants, I think that yours might be a tad long.

Good luck.

- B

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the OP mentioned the price tag. Perhaps that could help us deduce whether this could plausibly be bespoke.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wool pants.
Thanks for that. It is very workable . . . A few shavings of certain areas would tighten it up nicely . . . 1 - the extra fold just below the collar. 2 - For you, just a hint of shirt cuffs showing; thus, the jacket's sleeves could be just a smidgen shorter. 3 - Your tailor could slant your trousers' hems so that the back still falls where you like it, and the front would have a drapey rather than droopy break. After that, I'd throw out all thoughts and enjoy the garment! - M P.S., perhaps a slimmer sleeve on your next jacket as well.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I am going to take the jacket back tomorrow (if I can get away) and would appreciate any further productive criticism that can help improve this jacket. The above four questions are some concerns I have that I would appreciate comments on (I appreciate all comments).

So far I will be talking to him about:
1) Rolls behind my neck
2) Sleeve length
3) Excess material on my upper arm.

Others might diasagree, but I think the bottom hem is a bit long as well. That is why he said shortening the sleeves would look bad, because the bottom is too long. Taking both the sleeves and the bottom hem up would make you look taller as well. Typical Italian tailor if you ask me. My parent's neighbor is a bespoke tailor in Manhattan (from Italy) and I wouldn't let the guy hem my pants let alone make me a suit.

sanadan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
I don't believe the OP mentioned the price tag. Perhaps that could help us deduce whether this could plausibly be bespoke.

I don't believe it is relevant, so I would prefer not to discuss this publicly.

sanadan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Others might diasagree, but I think the bottom hem is a bit long as well. That is why he said shortening the sleeves would look bad, because the bottom is too long. Taking both the sleeves and the bottom hem up would make you look taller as well. Typical Italian tailor if you ask me. My parent's neighbor is a bespoke tailor in Manhattan (from Italy) and I wouldn't let the guy hem my pants let alone make me a suit.

As I was taking these second round of photos I was wondering if the jacket was a tad too long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads