1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bespoke Shooting Suit- recommendations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NorfolkMan, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I suspect this depends upon mood. I've been within a few feet of wild pigs on a couple of occasions.

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

This is the type of thing that spun JLibourel up to start with....

There are a whole lot of wild boar hunters that once the dogs corner a hog go in from behind and cut the throat with a knife. In fact it could be considered the right way to dispatch the hog. And a section of the knife industry makes knives just for this although a simple Bowie knife will work and works well.

As to the dogs that is what they are breed, born and live for. Just like my Toller as a pup sitting in the empty 12 pound keg of red dot gunpowder in my Avator was born and breed to hunt birds. Wild birds, ruffled grouse and pheasants. They would be poor dogs if they were not allowed to hunt and do what every fiber of their being drives them to do. Just as some men are also driven to hunt.

[​IMG]
    I prefer the Wing Works vest myself which I am wearing in this picture. And have found birds don't really care so much what you are wearing when you shoot at them. Or what gun you are using, I prefer my barrels to be stacked over each instead of side by side myself. And find nothing wrong with a single bbl pump or auto either.

3. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Indeed, hunting swords and Boar spears were once common in Europe. That said, the closest I've been to a live boar was at Teufelsberg, barely a couple feet, actually. They appear to be very socialized there an the general rule is so long as you stick to a trail they won't bother you regardless of proximity.

4. Hacking jacket

Hacking jacket Senior member

Oh so the dogs set on a pig and never once get injured? Really? Are your pigs are the domestic variety let loose?

I've worked with pros who hunt for a living, not enthusiasts who play with Rambo knives. I never saw them miss with a gun, that sort of pro. My colleague accompanied one who tracked 15km through forest and found the thief's house that walked off with his documents (returned minus the cash) ... that sort of pro.

Poor dog ....

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  5. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

6. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

My father used to hunt for wild pigs. The dogs would sometimes be very injured, once or twice seriously so. But never fatally.

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

That's about what I figured. I made a comment to that effect earlier in this thread.

As to the matter of never chasing a wild pig, what about the grand old sport of pick sticking? Lord Robert Baden-Powell (of Boy Scout fame) wrote his first book on this topic. I note that in Spain the humaniacs are trying to abolish pig sticking because it is so "cruel." Shooting wild boar with firearms will remain legal. I can't see how spearing a pig is any more or less cruel than shooting one. And, yes, I have chased wounded wild boars into thick cover. I regret to state that I was armed with a slug-loaded shotgun, not a knife or spear, which diminishes my macho quotient, I know.

8. Hacking jacket

Heroes are excempt.
    Exactly

9. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Just to pour more gasoline on the fire, I'm going to post this link here. Discussions elsewhere on the forum have led me to rut through Davide Taub's blog: http://davidetaub.blogspot.com/2011/09/corduroy-sports-jacket-w-shooting.html

This is actually very cool, though I don't think I could get away with it personally. What I would really like to see is this guy design costumes for a film.

10. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

No offense but even though you might be a distinguished firearms journalist (though I much prefer Skeeter, Bill Jordan, Taffin and Milek) you seriously need to work on your comprehension skills, or at least, snap out of the journalistic art of making generalizations, or sweeping main points under the rug if it suits your argument.

I've addressed your 'old-is-gold' and 'just-because-some-esteemed-figure-doesn't-use-it-means-it-has-no-functional-purpose' fallacy in the posts below.

I'd have preferred if you enlightened me with the massive amount of knowledge you have acquired as a firearms journalist, instead of going off-tangent on a slip, and harping on it afterwards despite me clarifying why it might have happened. But perhaps, you might need to re-read what I wrote more carefully.

I also believe that my points are pretty straightforward and speak directly to issues you've raised.

(Let me know if you need me to do a point-by-point clarification against your posts if my formatting of excerpts of what I wrote isn't sufficiently clear to you, a most distinguished firearms journalist).

On why slips/blunders/gaffes occur (that you conveniently ignored, or couldn't comprehend well enough to acknowledge):

On the discussion of performance-enhancing features:

Oh, btw: I think that in the 19th century, people played tennis with wooden racquets, competitive swimmers didn't wear goggles, sprinters didn't wear spiked track shoes, old golf clubs were made of wood. You might even find pictures of famous and world-class athletes of that era sporting such gear.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

1 person likes this.
  12. Hacking jacket

Pig mood swings (PMS)
    Or whether you are accompanied by dogs (partic. hunting dogs)