• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke shoes

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much better in terms of comfort are bespoke shoes? And, how much do Vass bespoke cost if you go to Budapest?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much better in terms of comfort are bespoke shoes?  And, how much do Vass bespoke cost if you go to Budapest?
I don't know. But what the hell? You will have a great time in Budapest no matter.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My bespoke shoes are significantly more comfortable. They are also lighter, so that you feel them less on your feet.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
last time I asked, about $500-$700, depending on the leather. they said that they wouldn't send me my first pair, though, they wanted me to come back to pick up the first pair, and then later pairs they would ship. A Harris has said that this might be flexible.

and like JA said, you will have a blast in Budapest.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Edward Green RTW on the 202 or 606 last are already so comfortable that I see no improvement in my bespoke shoes. In fact, since we all seek that elusive narrow look with a squarish chiseled toe, the bespoke shoes actually are slightly less comfortable in the tow box.

Bespoke is slimmer, more elegant and can suit more esoteric tasts. Though EG stock specials don't leave much to ask for other than the rarer materials. They'll use white buck and pigskin in bespoke, for example, but not for a stock special.

Will

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
last time I asked, about $500-$700, depending on the leather. they said that they wouldn't send me my first pair, though, they wanted me to come back to pick up the first pair, and then later pairs they would ship. A Harris has said that this might be flexible.

and like JA said, you will have a blast in Budapest.
Just 500 to 700 dollars? For Bespoke shoes? How does Vass rank up against Lattanzi/John Lobb of London?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter,Jan. 25 2005,19:04
last time I asked, about $500-$700, depending on the leather. they said that they wouldn't send me my first pair, though, they wanted me to come back to pick up the first pair, and then later pairs they would ship. A Harris has said that this might be flexible. and like JA said, you will have a blast in Budapest.
Just 500 to 700 dollars? For Bespoke shoes? How does Vass rank up against Lattanzi/John Lobb of London?
actually, seeing that in print prompted me to go back to my notes. bespoke shoes started at 450 Euros to about 600 Euros, depending on the material. in todays money that is a little more. I can't compare quality, although people on the board have compared them to Lobb favorably.

jester

Reaction score
I thought the Vass RTW was more than that. That's an incredible price, if true.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Roy @ Jan. 25 2005,12:11)
last time I asked, about $500-$700, depending on the leather. they said that they wouldn't send me my first pair, though, they wanted me to come back to pick up the first pair, and then later pairs they would ship. A Harris has said that this might be flexible. and like JA said, you will have a blast in Budapest.
actually, seeing that in print prompted me to go back to my notes. bespoke shoes started at 450 Euros to about 600 Euros, depending on the material. in todays money that is a little more. I can't compare quality, although people on the board have compared them to Lobb favorably.
I paid 420 euros today for a pair of RTW Santoni's, so still I consider them a bargain at that price for bespoke. RTW Lattanzi/Berluti is around 1000 euros as a starting price.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ Jan. 25 2005,21:25)
Originally Posted by Roy,Jan. 25 2005,12:11

I paid 420 euros today for a pair of RTW Santoni's, so still I consider them a bargain at that price for bespoke. RTW Lattanzi/Berluti is around 1000 euros as a starting price.
it's a huge bargain, you just have to get there. I am hoping to get back in late feb, and I have somebody to pick up the finished product for me, if they don't want to send it.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Roy @ Jan. 25 2005,14:01)
Originally Posted by globetrotter,Jan. 25 2005,21:25
Originally Posted by Roy,Jan. 25 2005,12:11

it's a huge bargain, you just have to get there. I am hoping to get back in late feb, and I have somebody to pick up the finished product for me, if they don't want to send it.
Then I have picked a destination for my september city trip.

Smooth Jazz

Reaction score
Two points

1. Bespoke shoes are way more comfortable than any RTW shoe for all the reasons Manton has already enumerated (I have had good experiences with Kiton RTW - but that is probably a function of their lasts being quite close to my foot - i.e., Kiton shoes will not be that well fitting for everyone)

2. Vass is not true bespoke but rather a MTM - they take stock lasts and modify them - given their general quality, I am sure the end product is very good indeed but just wanted to highlight the difference - also I don't think they do a try-on but rather make the final product after measuring you (I believe Lobb St. James doesn't either)

Smooth Jazz

Reaction score
Also, Budapest has some of the prettiest women on the planet - which may be enough reason to go there for a trip

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
2. Vass is not true bespoke but rather a MTM - they take stock lasts and modify them - given their general quality, I am sure the end product is very good indeed but just wanted to highlight the difference - also I don't think they do a try-on but rather make the final product after measuring you (I believe Lobb St. James doesn't either)
I believe that Vass prefers to do the fitting but will dispense with it for clients not convenient to Budapest.

As for a trial shoe, I don't think that any West End shoemaker does that. I've only ever heard of it for some of the Paris bespoke houses (namely, JL Paris and Berluti) and for some of the Japanese (Guild of Crafts and I think Koji Suzuki).

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
2. Vass is not true bespoke but rather a MTM - they take stock lasts and modify them
Well, yes; but, as I understand it, the difference is that a more run-of-the-mill bespoke shoemaker (is there such a thing?) carves your foot out of a block of wood, while Vass carves your foot out of, say, a U-last. As long as you like the look of one of the Vass lasts--and there is something for everybody--you'll get your perfect shoe. Needless to say, I've got my trip scheduled as well, for June. If it looks like the dollar is going to fall off the shelf (or at this point, roll down the stairs into the basement) then I might try to pop off for a weekend in April. Tom

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads