• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Shoes

Mecnun

Reaction score
I understand that nothing will equal the fit of a bespoke shoe. However what about quality? Is a bespoke G&G or Cleverley shoe much better in quality then a John Lobb RTW? While John Lobbs prestige Line is now about 700-750 pounds a pair of G&G or Cleverley seems to be in the 1500-1600 pound range. İs a bespoke shoe worth 2 John Lobb prestige line shoes?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One is prompted by goodwill to mention that the esteemed firm of John Lobb London does not give forth a client a trial shoe for their bespoke operations.

shoefan

Reaction score
A bespoke shoe, such as G&G, is made very differently from that of any factory-made, machine-welted shoe. This difference in construction yields a shoe which is lighter than the RTW shoes, and can offer features such as a true beveled sole and fiddleback waist that are either unavailable or lesser copies on RTW. Further, you can specify things such as the thickness of the sole, the amount of welt that shows, the toe shape, etc. Never mind the potential for a far superior fit, depending on your foot shape and the skill of the lastmaker. Finally, bespoke shoes should use higher quality leathers than that of even the best British RTW shoes.

Is it worth the difference in price? That is subjective. At at 2-for-1 ratio, I think yes.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is more than enough room for both RTW and bespoke in any shoe wardrobe.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoefan
A bespoke shoe, such as G&G, is made very differently from that of any factory-made, machine-welted shoe. This difference in construction yields a shoe which is lighter than the RTW shoes, and can offer features such as a true beveled sole and fiddleback waist that are either unavailable or lesser copies on RTW. Further, you can specify things such as the thickness of the sole, the amount of welt that shows, the toe shape, etc. Never mind the potential for a far superior fit, depending on your foot shape and the skill of the lastmaker. Finally, bespoke shoes should use higher quality leathers than that of even the best British RTW shoes.

Is it worth the difference in price? That is subjective. At at 2-for-1 ratio, I think yes.

Good post.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not everyone can find a pair of Lobb RTWs that actually fit. Which changes the discussion a little bit.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
One is prompted by goodwill to mention that the esteemed firm of John Lobb London does not give forth a client a trial shoe for their bespoke operations.

Yes. It is a matter of faith that they'll get the fit right.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cleverley bespoke starts at 2300 pounds, I don't know if this changes your thoughts or not.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You get the exact style you want and usually the color, which is worth quite a bit if you already have a closet full of shoes. And from a couple feet away they look better than anything machine-made.

On the other hand, unless you have hard to fit feet the fit is often no better than a machine-made shoe. I have eight pair from four makers and only three of them fit better than my Edward Greens. One pair fit considerably worse until I sent it back for six months to be re-made.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Cleverley bespoke starts at 2300 pounds, I don't know if this changes your thoughts or not.

Wow. I didn't realize that G&G was that much cheaper.

Yale Cameron

Reaction score
bespoke G an G is also around 2300 pounds, though that includes lasted trees, bags, box.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads