• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke shoes in UK - a more affordable option?

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The issue is that the shoe you get is very different depending on who you comission from. From what I've seen, there is no resemblance from Cleverley to Foster. They are very different in terms of the lasts, Cleverley lasts are rather squared while Foster's are more rounded. Personally, if the budget is not decisive, I would try Cleverley first and then Foster. Both houses have very talented lastmakers.Though probably nowadays I would go the route of Nicholas, as he's at the same level of those two and I think the whole experience would be more pleasant and less expensive.

Cleverley bespoke, note the sharp last.

Foster bespoke, something different.

By the way, what are the prices from Nicholas nowadays?

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One name that has not been mentioned is CarreDucker. I see their classical work as less successful than the standard makers but they are more prepared to make an unusual style. I have only had the RTW Winkers so cannot comment from experience..

Last edited:

atia2

Reaction score
Elias & Grandsons in London W4 make handsewn bespoke shoes for £650. They use last modification rather than turning a fresh last from wood. Samples are on display in store. I haven't used them yet for anything other than repairs (which have been excellent) but I'm thinking of commissioning a pair soon.

They have a Twitter feed but apparently no website: https://mobile.twitter.com/eliasgrandsons

atia2

Reaction score
^ Good spot. I'm showing my age.

From what I've seen in store, they do the basics well. There's a certain lack of precision in the finer details, which I rather like because the shoes look handmade. Therefore, I wouldn't commission a complicated pair from them, at least not to start with. Don't expect a pair of Templemans at this price point, but I'd be very happy with these plain toe derbies:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads