• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke shoes from Shanghai - Jack Peng (all goodyear welted, supposedly)

hkhobo

Reaction score
Have any of you gotten bespoke shoes in Shanghai?

I walked by this place the other day: www.jackpeng.com / http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/listings/shopping/shoes/has/jackpeng/

Would love to hear from anyone who has ordered shoes from him before.

All their shoes are goodyear welted (says in their brochure that Jack Peng insists on applying the Goodyear welt stitching). Online articles suggest that Jack Peng spent more than a decade in Italy learning his craft.

The showroom looks really nice and upscale (Picture from google below)... they actually make a 3d mold of your foot before they make the last. you can see those plaster molds below.

Basic shoes cost around RMB 3,000-4,000 for french calfskin. They have two types of leather soles - the more expensive one has more stitches and a different finish, as seen below from their brochure - sorry i used my phone to take these pics so quality not that great (both shoes actually say Jack Peng on the bottom):

IMG00045-20110924-2151.jpg

More pictures from the brochure (hope they didn't take these photos from somewhere else):

I want to see if anyone has used him before. The only other info that i can find are on Shanghai forums, and the reviews are mixed.

Vanguard

Reaction score
Hello,

I was recently in urgent need of shoes and i had been recomanded Jack Peng bespoke shoes. A friend living in Shanghai for a long time described me as Jack Peng as "THE shoes solution" in shanghai so i just tried Jack Peng and no other one (yet).
To be honest i used to care more about the design and the looks of my shoes than about the comfort. I am quite exigent about clothes, if i don't like them enough, or dont feel good in them, i dont wear them at all, nor for working or for casual occasions.
Since i never had bespoke shoes before and my friend was very convincing, i decided to try it out.

Jack Peng offers Measure to order (cheaper and delays of 10 days to 2 weeks) and Bespoke shoes (one month).
They use French and Italian calf leathers, the first one being thicker while the italian is more souple. They do use Goodyear Welt, with two different crafts (and prices).

The process:

1-Day one: Order
-The make a foot mold of your feet, take your measures and ask you to try some fitting shoes.
-The sales (with correct english) helps you to design the shoes and to choose the leather, color, details you want ( brogue, linning, the welt, etc).
It takes around 40 mn to one hour but luckily they have very good expressos!

They now start making the last and use it to make some fitting shoes.

2-15 days later: Fitting shoes are half way done and the fitting shoes are ready
You try these fitting shoes, to check the design and to ask corrections if needed. It was quite fast, they took pics and notes about the size&fitting.

One month later: Collection
You are invited to try and collect the final shoes.

I had been very satisfied with these shoes, bespoke shoes are much more comfortable than ready to wear, the difference is more obvious on the first days. I also like the idea to design my own shoes and to be able to choose that many details. The shoes are still new, so i dont have an educated feedback about the long term comfort / durability /evolution yet.
I guess in Shanghai it is much more affordable than in europe, even if to be honest i never checked when i was living there.

The bespoke service is an entry cost, as they keep the last in the factory you don't have to pay it later on for your next orders.
I was mainly concerned about reliability, comfort, quality and design.
Jack Peng really satisfied me on all these aspects: they design was exactly what i wanted, the informed me and kept me updated about the process, the shoes and fittings were ready on time.
I am now quite convinced about bespoke shoes !
And i think Jack Peng offers a good value, it is not cheap but the quality/comfort/look are great. Especially in shanghai were western brands are much more expensive than at home, and where shoes design, even in famous brand like Ferragamo is really horrible..(for men).

A tip, i made a low deposit and made it very clear that i would not pay if i wasn't fully satisfied, like i do with tailors. I think it is quite a good idea...

Hope it helped.
I would be curious about other reviews of bespoke shoes in shanghai..or the price of bespoke shoes in europe..
Ha and my wife asked, they also do women shoes or boots but prefer when the design is kept quite simple (not too hight heels). My wife made low boots, with short heels, and seems to be quite happy with them..

I'll post a pic of my 2nd pair when i'll get them !

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
seems like advertisements to me lol..3-4k RMB in china better bring a nice shoe.

Jangofett

Reaction score
3000 to 4000 RMB is very expensive for a Chinese product. I think their clientele should be mainly foreigners and locals probably can get a better price.
And if he has been in Italy for ten years, he can only do Goodyear shoes?

Vanguard

Reaction score
Since it is friday, afternoon here in Shanghai, i remembered that post..

The shoes look very nice, as did the sample in shop...but more importantly they proved to be very comfortable from day one (didnt walk much that day obviously), no blisters, which is quite a sign...i remember day one were i bought Zara shoes out of desperation...(look ok, poor quality, horrible comfort, i knew it, but Shanghai is tough when you are a tall men). I wear them with pleasure, and confidence, that's what i was looking for.

"seems like advertisements to me lol..3-4k RMB in china better bring a nice shoe"
Haha i am not advertising, i am just an ignorant in bespoke shoes, and since i was relieved to see the quality and comfort were great, i may had been a bit enthusiastic. Shopping as a man i quite an issue in Shanghai. (especially if you are above 43 and 1.80).
But when i was looking for shoes i heard so many people saying they paid something like 1600 /2000 to have shoes that look ok but can't wear...or who had to struggle and loose a lot of time to have them corrected..Especially when i can only get there during weekends..
To me this is waisting time and money.
My friend an other converging opinions were enthusiastic about Jack Peng, he told me it was exactly what i wanted: upscale, with a good value and no surprises..And that what i got..

About the price, 4k which is by no mean cheap but it is an entry price, the next pair i ordered (Italian/french leather/goodyear craft) was 2800rmb.
They also have measure to order for 2800rmb which are supposed to be good too especially when you dont have "weird feet', but i wanted to try bespoke so i dont know about it...
Anyway as i said to me it is worth it and of a great value and a nice overall experience. I am not saying i am not going to try another one tho, i'd post a feedback then...
4K first pair, bespoke, 2800 next pair, is still to me quite a good value. When i was looking to remplace my lost shoes, i checked Ferragamo (shanghai): horrible HORRIBLE design (compared to europe), prices from 8 to 12k in ready to wear, cannot judge quality but i'd say mines could be better..Weston & John Lobb obvioulsy have good shoes but they are only measure to order here, and 8 to 13k+ as well (20% importations taxes), Tom Ford has good design shoes but are also..Louis Vuitton is there too, but i didnt bother to check, Church isnt.
And also i didnt bargain, shame on me, i will next time.

"And if he has been in Italy for ten years, he can only do Goodyear shoes?"
I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but i thought goodyear leather soles were the best? What process are better then? And what are the advantages?
Also the "10 years in Italy" thing may be a kind of "personal legend" it is often part of the folklore here in China...

"I think their clientele should be mainly foreigners and locals probably can get a better price"
I think the customers are mostly western people too. I have seen many pics of Japonese customers too over the walls, but that's probably also because chinese men don't seem to care (much/at all) about shoes...
Shoes are the most neglected element of a chinese men wardrobe, even a (super) wealthy ones: how many Porshe / Rolex / short / crocs combo didnt i see? or the same insane and twisted variant with obvisously expensive and ok look suits paired with demoniac loafers..?
Fascinating visions, especially when they have a beautiful and (sometimes) truly stylish girl with them...
If someone has an idea of why btw, i am be curious!

I remember i wrote i'll to post a pic, i should have my second pair this weekend or so.

I was wondering, the leather sole they have look very good, but my first pair is quite slippery, would it be a sin to add rubber on the front part?

HLow

Reaction score

Vanguard

Reaction score
Sure does, especially the first post by the second fella, vanguard.

Sure, "undercover advertising" from Shanghai on a european website makes so much sense right?
I am sure all shanghai expats are reading me, and twice in a row, most definitely.
Let alone japonese and chinese people...
stirpot.gif

I just tried to give an extensive description of the process since i am not familiar with it. The first poster tried to be informative and detailled so did i. As have no idea of the prices, process, etc used by western bespoke companies i asked for feedbacks and comparable experiences. I thought detailing the proces would generate more detailled feedbacks or comments, not one line sarcastic comments
rolleyes.gif

I think i made it obvious enough, although i am not a shoe expert, i like these shoes and yes i made it pretty clear. If i didnt like them, i would have been clear as well. Before spending 4k rmb on an unknown chinese shoe maker, i ressearched and asked around. When i got the shoes, i did feel relieved so i was happy to share my experience as my friend was when he recommended me this shop (and who also has better to do of his time than to advertise for chinese shoe makers).
I never said it was good for everybody that's why i mentioned many time what were MY expectations: stylish, comfortable, trouble free and durable shoes of a good value. It makes it for me but i am not sure i am the most representative of the western expat type in Shanghai.

Finding 43+ good looking (to my style and professional use criteria) , comfortable, and of a good value in SH is quite a challenge, but if you have any better suggestion, or input, you are more than welcome, really.

On these highly stimulating thoughts i wish you a good weekend!
On a more constructive way i am quite interested about the two questions i asked in my previous post:
-is adding rubber to the leather sole a sin against style?
-is there a better technique than goodyear sole? Then what and what is the advantage?
-about chinese fashion, i am not sure you can have educated insight if you haven't witnessed it with you own amazed eyes..

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you take a picture of the shoes you owned from the shop? I want to find out their polishing level.....

Vanguard

Reaction score
Here are some pics, of the shoes i got this weekend, i am not sure of what you may need to assess the polishing level, so let me know if you need anything else.
I'll be very curious about your opinion, i dont know much about it...

I guess the polish on my shoes is quite simple, I also saw some fading / darkening polish.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here are some pics, of the shoes i got this weekend, i am not sure of what you may need to assess the polishing level, so let me know if you need anything else.
I'll be very curious about your opinion, i dont know much about it...

[ATTACHMENT=1451]IMG_7920.JPG (111k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=1452]IMG_7921.JPG (113k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=1453]IMG_7922.JPG (113k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I guess the polish on my shoes is quite simple, I also saw some fading / darkening polish.

I personally don't like the captoe that deep but the finishing so tight around the welt is great. Polishing is good.

joshuadowen

Reaction score
My wife and I are in Shanghai this week house-hunting, and stopped in at Jack Peng's. I can't speak to price, as I promised her I'd hold off ordering a pair until we moved here next month. Having handled the shoes in person, the shoe construction seems to be of pretty high quality. However, as is often the case in China, the materials are a little sub-par. The calf leathers Peng offers are OKAY - not great but also not unreasonably cheap. The "suede" being offered seems to be to be synthetic but I can't be 100 percent sure. Still, I'll probably try a pair out depending on how the pricing is. I'll post more after my next visit.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I personally don't like the captoe that deep but the finishing so tight around the welt is great. Polishing is good.

+1 looks great. nails in heel could be nicer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads