• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bespoke shoes advice before I order

alepenn

Reaction score
I'm thinking about the style and what I should make sure to tell the shoemaker before I get MTM shoes made here in Shanghai. I'm looking for anything I should specifically ask for, and whether you agree with the following points:

-Hand sewn shoes (so you can see the stitching on the bottom of the shoe)
-Omitting the shoemakers name from the shoe

Is there anything else I should look for? Also, does the heel need to be glued as well as nailed? Traditionally would it have only have been nailed on? Lastly, is it "traditional" to have a bit of rubber on the heel for grip, or is that in bad taste?

Also it looks like I'll be paying ~$200 per pair. I've had a sample pair made by this company and they did a decent job making them pretty comfortable so I'm not worried about the quality here, and I've got a friend who got a few pairs two years ago which are still holding up nicely. (Keep in mind I have wider than normal feet so standard shoes from the store tend not to work out as well and this is why I'm looking to do this)

Thanks

Thanks

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$200 for a pair of bespoke shoes? Are you in Southeast Asia by any chance? I am not sure what to start with your post. "Hand sewn" has little to do with "you can see the stitching on the bottom of the shoe". May I suggest you to lurk here more and read some shoe construction threads first?

alepenn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
$200 for a pair of bespoke shoes? Are you in Southeast Asia by any chance? I am not sure what to start with your post. "Hand sewn" has little to do with "you can see the stitching on the bottom of the shoe". May I suggest you to lurk here more and read some shoe construction threads first?

In shanghai. I've tried going through the search function but honestly much of what I've read has gone over my head. I was under the impression the stitching at the bottom of the sole indicated that the sole of the shoe had been welted instead of glued. Any input you could provide would be much appreciated.

Oyaji

Reaction score
MTM in Shanghai...
This advise to get better about the shoes in here is a very good one nevertheless to answer your question:
-hand sewn welted: yes but it is higher quality if you can't see the stitching in the sole (look for channeled sole)
-omitting...: dont know what you mean
-quality of the leather that willl be used is the main issue I think but I dont see how you can avoid that.
-okay to have glue in the heel
-better to have a rubber part also
-ask for protective metal toe.

And enjoy bespoke at low price.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments