• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Shirts...what are my options?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
having grown tired of things that aren't "just quite right" and the sleeve shortening operations I'm forced to undertake, i am considering a good bespoke service-- but can only afford to order in small groups of 4 or 6. What are my options-- given that I'd like to explore nearby visiting shirtmakers or possibly a trip to NYC, but also that i'm completely uninterested in hong kong/ korea or other oriental shirtmaking services?

thanks in advance.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paris Shirtmakers - NYC
Jack Anto - LA
Barton & Donaldson - Philly

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're bound for New York, Turnbull & Asser has a shop on 57th and will make 6 shirts for less than $300 each.

Depending on where you live, you might also catch one of the Savile Row tailors on their US tours. Dege-Skinner's shirtmaker, Bob Whittaker, is very fine and visits the US 2 or 3 times per year. It's been too long since I've seen him, but I think that his prices for good but not extravagant shirts are in the $200-240 range. The website lists a "starting at" price, but you'll want better fabric than what that buys.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're bound for New York, Turnbull & Asser has a shop on 57th and will make 6 shirts for less than $300 each.

Depending on where you live, you might also catch one of the Savile Row tailors on their US tours. Dege-Skinner's shirtmaker, Bob Whittaker, is very fine and visits the US 2 or 3 times per year. It's been too long since I've seen him, but I think that his prices for good but not extravagant shirts are in the $200-240 range. The website lists a "starting at" price, but you'll want better fabric than what that buys.
If you do order from T&A be forewarned: customer service might not be up to par as to what you expect for the price paid and be prepared to wait quite a while for you shirts, they are always consistently behind their production schedule and it takes a good set of months before you get the shirts.

Jon.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another member and current T&A customer told me yesterday that T&A's lowest decent shirt is now $410 with their new 2005 price list. All of the European mfgs have now re-priced based on the current US$ vs the Euro, Pound, Franc, etc. Humph. Time to raise my prices.
smile.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another member and current T&A customer told me yesterday that T&A's lowest decent shirt is now $410 with their new 2005 price list. All of the European mfgs have now re-priced based on the current US$ vs the Euro, Pound, Franc, etc. Humph. Time to raise my prices.
smile.gif
Pardon my French, but are they ******* nuts? Jon. And yet again T&A makes my argument for me why H&K is a much, much, much better deal.

rayk

Reaction score
Why not try Alex? Â Were it that I had the wherewithal to do so. Â
sad.gif
Your stated price point might be a problem, but, hell, you've just gotta pay for the finest.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What with Alex's prices, pre-increase
wink.gif
and a mimimum order of six, it's possible they're out of the range, Foxx. But it would be great to have a forum member avail themself of his work, and of course share the experience with us. If I had a few extra grand just lying around, I'd surely do the same.
biggrin.gif

brescd01

Reaction score
I can't imagine why you would not be interested in Jantzen. Even if you dislike their well-made shirts, you can use them to get a perfect fitting shirt and have it copied by any of these innumerable Italian firms who will copy measurements, and whose links were just posted. I am dying to find out how good they are.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
having grown tired of things that aren't "just quite right" and the sleeve shortening operations I'm forced to undertake, i am considering a good bespoke service-- but can only afford to order in small groups of 4 or 6.  What are my options-- given that I'd like to explore nearby visiting shirtmakers or possibly a trip to NYC, but also that i'm completely uninterested in hong kong/ korea or other oriental shirtmaking services?

thanks in advance.
Borrelli and Vacca (Finnamore) have a minimum order of 6 and start at around 350. I think Barney's does Lorenzini and Battistoni at around 300 with a minimum order of 3.

koji

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(The_Foxx @ Jan. 23 2005,17:17) having grown tired of things that aren't "just quite right" and the sleeve shortening operations I'm forced to undertake, i am considering a good bespoke service-- but can only afford to order in small groups of 4 or 6. Â What are my options-- given that I'd like to explore nearby visiting shirtmakers or possibly a trip to NYC, but also that i'm completely uninterested in hong kong/ korea or other oriental shirtmaking services? thanks in advance.
Borrelli and Vacca (Finnamore) have a minimum order of 6 and start at around 350. Â I think Barney's does Lorenzini and Battistoni at around 300 with a minimum order of 3. koji
Wow, Borrelli is a lot more expensive overthere then
redface.gif
They start at around 200 euros (or 260 dollars) here for the cheaper fabrics. For Sea Island you should expect to pay about 280/300 in euros maybe. That's between 365 and 390 U.S. Barba di Napoli is a bit cheaper. You guys must really feel screwed with those exchange rates...

AAA

Reaction score
You could always go with CEGO/Shirtmaven. His prices start around $100 and obviously go up...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Thracozaag @ Jan. 24 2005,14:48)
Originally Posted by The_Foxx,Jan. 23 2005,17:17
having grown tired of things that aren't "just quite right" and the sleeve shortening operations I'm forced to undertake, i am considering a good bespoke service-- but can only afford to order in small groups of 4 or 6. What are my options-- given that I'd like to explore nearby visiting shirtmakers or possibly a trip to NYC, but also that i'm completely uninterested in hong kong/ korea or other oriental shirtmaking services? thanks in advance.
Borrelli and Vacca (Finnamore) have a minimum order of 6 and start at around 350. I think Barney's does Lorenzini and Battistoni at around 300 with a minimum order of 3. koji
Wow, Borrelli is a lot more expensive overthere then
redface.gif
They start at around 200 euros (or 260 dollars) here for the cheaper fabrics. For Sea Island you should expect to pay about 280/300 in euros maybe. That's between 365 and 390 U.S. Barba di Napoli is a bit cheaper. You guys must really feel screwed with those exchange rates...
You have no idea. Jon.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pardon me for asking, but why are you discounting going with asian shirtmakers? for the same $1800 you could get a lifetime supply of shirts, not just 6.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads