1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bespoke shirts online for 39 dollars! Ergoni.com

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Holstein Bilter, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

i was quite curious as you can imagine. I still can not figure out how Jantzen makes money using HK labor offering so many bells and wistles with out upcharges.

the measurement softwear is based on a program developed in conjunction with UNC and the US Army. they wanted to come up with a way to make unifroms to size rather then having so many sizes in stock. factories were or are set up to use computerized cutting equipment.
    At least this is my assumption based on what I could figure out from their information.

This is the same softwear that lands end uses for their custom shirt program. I think Paul Fredricks may also be using this program.

What bothered me about their site was how vague it all seemed. I wanted to see how to take the measurements on the second section, but there were no diagrams. no mention of lead times. which asian countries were they made in.
    100/2 and 140/2 from china are OK but a little mushy.IMO.

I am curious to see the results as well.

Carl

2. Holstein Bilter

Holstein Bilter Senior member

I have 4 shirts on order. Will let you all know the results.

Regards.

HB

3. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

i was quite curious as you can imagine. I still can not figure out how Jantzen makes money using HK labor offering so many bells and wistles with out upcharges.
    Maybe they're subsidized by the government to help HK maintain their profile in the worldwide bespoke (er, MTM) tailoring market. A loss leader, so to speak.

4. migo

migo Senior member

anyone know how long it takes for the shirts to come in? Please do give us a report, those of you who have ordered...I'm very tempted by this student friendly deal [​IMG]

5. Patrick06790

Patrick06790 Senior member

I just got one. Took two weeks. Looks nice; don't have time to mess with it right now. Later... I only have time to take a couple of photos. I will wash it and report on fit later, although a very quick preliminary test is good - better than the two Lands End custom shirts I have. It's the cheaper of the two lines. There's an odd thing with the sleeve buttons, which are placed at either end of the whatsit. A single cuff meant to be worn with links and converted on the cheap? Beats me. Anyway, you can't tell when it's buttoned, so who cares. The tail is only about 1-1.5" longer than the front, so at first I thought I'd bought a camp shirt. After I've laundered and worn the thing a few times I will have a better idea of whether or not it was a good investment. I don't think it's any great example of the shirtmakers' art, but for $39 it looks pretty decent. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Donald

Donald Active Member

I would be interested to hear about quality, fit and slection of fabrics. I went on the site and could not look at the fabric selection. I have bought from House of Salgado in Toronto, great shirts, luxurious fabrics, but pricey 150 CAD a shirt 6-8wks. I have also bought from Maxwells, I ordered 3 shirts and only like one, 65 CAD, so so quality.
    Cheers,
    D

7. Holstein Bilter

I just got one. Took two weeks. Looks nice; don't have time to mess with it right now.

Later...

I only have time to take a couple of photos. I will wash it and report on fit later, although a very quick preliminary test is good - better than the two Lands End custom shirts I have.

It's the cheaper of the two lines. There's an odd thing with the sleeve buttons, which are placed at either end of the whatsit. A single cuff meant to be worn with links and converted on the cheap? Beats me. Anyway, you can't tell when it's buttoned, so who cares.

The tail is only about 1-1.5" longer than the front, so at first I thought I'd bought a camp shirt.

After I've laundered and worn the thing a few times I will have a better idea of whether or not it was a good investment. I don't think it's any great example of the shirtmakers' art, but for $39 it looks pretty decent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please do let us know how it turns out after you wash/wear it.
    Regards.

HB

8. Patrick06790

Patrick06790 Senior member

Washed it in warm water and allowed it ten minutes in the dryer (set on low) with some other stuff before yanking it out and hanging it. Ironed up nicely. Wore it again - no problems. Looks good. I like it better than the two Lands End customs I have.

I'll probably try Ergoni again.

9. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

The cuff you have is a 'convertible' cuff, meant to be buttoned or worn with links. They were more common on US RTW dress shirts in the 60s. The double buttons allow you to adjust the shirt to the size of your wrist.

The check on your collar could have been done more neatly...the line of the fabric is bowing out at the collar edge.

10. the plunger

the plunger Senior member

39 dollars seems expensive.

edwin

11. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

39 dollars seems expensive.

edwin

are you serious? it's probably one of the cheapest MTM shirts in the world.

12. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

tell the owners to stop using the phony italian name. it actually has the reverse effect of what they are going for.

13. Matt

Matt Senior member

Pretty unremarkable based on the pics. Jantzen still looks a lot better for a few extra dollars...If I paid ten bucks for that in Vietnam, I probably still wouldnt go back to the guy.

Thanks for sharing though.

14. migo

migo Senior member

they redesigned the site...but it's really buggy (won't let me put in my measurements!!)

I emailed the dude so hopefully it'll be up soon...I really want to order a shirt right now!

15. Holstein Bilter

tell the owners to stop using the phony italian name. it actually has the reverse effect of what they are going for.
    Don't think it's an italian name at all. "Ergoni" = "Ergonomic" Not Italian, but an Italian like play on words. That sounds very business school idea derived by the site creator...so I applaud it. Regards, HB

16. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Received mine and I don't think I will ever wear it. Shirt is made in India with unremarkable (euphemism) fabric, poor construction, the heaviest/thickest fusing ever experienced by man (collar and cuffs), the cheapest looking plastic buttons, and the buttonholes are not even properly cut (couldn't use the french cuffs without first enlarging the hole with a blade). Fit is not even that great - but honestly who cares when quality is so poor....

By no means a viable alternative to Jantzen

17. StreetLaw

StreetLaw Well-Known Member

It reminded me of the scene in the UK version of The Office where David Brent shows off his new "Sergio Georgini" jacket.

18. P3R3

P3R3 Senior member

The thing I hate about Jantzen is the horrible site. He uses an EMAIL FORM to receive your credit card info, which is why I have never used him. It is completely unencrypted and very very easy for a 3rd party to intercept the communications.

19. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The thing I hate about Jantzen is the horrible site. He uses an EMAIL FORM to receive your credit card info, which is why I have never used him. It is completely unencrypted and very very easy for a 3rd party to intercept the communications.

You can call him and give him your cc number via phone if you have a problem with unencrypted electronic communications

20. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior member

Which is why I have a "disposable" card number that can be used only once. Call your bank or credit card company to see if they have such a feature.

I used to use a separate bank account for online transactions. This is also an option; as you could just transfer the amount you want to pay into that account, keeping your main account secure.