• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Shirts London

Umer

Reaction score
Can you recommend a good shirtmaker in London?

Very_British

Reaction score
Hello,

That'll naturally depend on how much you want to give out.

If you have money to waste... so to speak, I recommend my old supplier from my days in London, Harvie and Hudson who are simply splendid as well as being very old and respectable. There are 2 shops in Jermyn Street as well as one in good old Knightsbridge.

Alternatively, Denman and Goddard is a very old and distinguished company from the 1700s. They are in either New Burlington or Burlington Street (refer to google).

For something cheaper, there's the high street chains to consider where shirts are not as exclusive but just as good I assure you.

Hope this has helped you.

Sincere regards,

V_British

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Very_British
... to give out.

... so to speak ...

Sincere regards,

V_British

Mal ne Frage: bist Du deutsch?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Very_British
Hello,

That'll naturally depend on how much you want to give out.

If you have money to waste... so to speak, I recommend my old supplier from my days in London, Harvie and Hudson who are simply splendid as well as being very old and respectable. There are 2 shops in Jermyn Street as well as one in good old Knightsbridge.

Alternatively, Denman and Goddard is a very old and distinguished company from the 1700s. They are in either New Burlington or Burlington Street (refer to google).

For something cheaper, there's the high street chains to consider where shirts are not as exclusive but just as good I assure you.

Sincere regards,

V_British

Who are the high street chain shirtmakers? Or are you referring to RTW stuff like Tyrwhitt or Lewin?

I always seem to think of shirtmakers as custom...

K

Very_British

Reaction score
@ Golf_Nerd - in reply to your question as to whether or not I am German. "Nein" is the answer.

In reply to you questioning my 'Englisch'... kannst Du Dein eigene Sprache perfekt sprechen und schreiben?

The terminology "so to speak" you will find very English.

I wish to make you aware of the fact, there is every likelihood that how something is spoken in terms of local dialects (i.e. slang) can also be written, too. An example of this is, I say "took" when normally I should say "taken"

This also depends on two of many factors:

First of all, where one lives (or has lived in the past); And

Secondly, how intense his or her local language is and how much he or she has taken with him or her.

There is also every likelihood that people will shorten their sentences at the start and still be understood.

To conclude this, what can be perceived as being 'bad language' in the eyes of the 'weary and watchful' is in fact the way people actually speak, etc.

Let's see how many mistakes you've spotted - have fun 'spooting'!

Sincere regards,

V_British

Very_British

Reaction score
@ VKK3450 - that all depends on how much he has in his wallet and how much time he has. As I'm sure you're fully aware, London certainly has a reputation for being overly expensive.

Therefore, the high street will provide alternatives NOT in the bespoke sense... so to speak (Golf-Nerd). That quite simply means - wrapped in plastic Guv-nor as a last resort!

Sincere regards,

V_British

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats why I was asking. His title specifically says bespoke and I thought you knew of a high street store now doing bespoke.

K

rickblaine

Reaction score
I have tried Dege & Skinner, Gieves & Hawkes (no longer makes shirts) and Turnbull & Asser. My recojmmendation would clearly be Turnbull & Asser. I have also seen Shean O'Flynn's work in person and that was most impressing.

andreyb2

Reaction score
Umer,

This has been discussed in detail before. Search the forum for discussions on Budd, Turnbull & Asser, Russell & Hodge, Sean O'Flynn, Robert Whittaker, Harvie & Hudson and Udeshi.

Andrey

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andreyb2
Umer,

This has been discussed in detail before. Search the forum for discussions on Budd, Turnbull & Asser, Russell & Hodge, Sean O'Flynn, Robert Whittaker, Harvie & Hudson and Udeshi.

Andrey

NB, I think it's Whitaker, one "t" -- for your searches.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Also David Gale.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
And Frank Foster or Stephen Lachter.

coogie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
Mal ne Frage: bist Du deutsch?

We speak like that in England.... All common expressions

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coogie
We speak like that in England.... All common expressions

Originally Posted by veryvery;
That'll naturally depend on how much you want to give out???

How common is that. And what does it mean?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads