Bespoke shirts in SF

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LukeZZ, Jun 23, 2009.

1. LukeZZ

LukeZZ Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for the best place to get bespoke or MTM shirts in the bay area? I am looking mostly for casual, fitted shirts.

--Luke

2. ohm

ohm Senior member

Mytailor.com goes to SF.
    edit: the obvious alternative being to fly to europe and get charvet or matuozzo.

3. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

There were a couple SF members located in the city who started a company named "Chalk." Haven't heard from them recently though.

4. Abby

Abby New Member

You can get bespoke dress shirts online at www.indiTailored.com. We offer easy online ordering, free shipping, guaranteed fit, and easy returns and exchanges--all for just $89.99.

If you want to take a look at our fabric in person, you can come visit us in Emeryville, CA. Just give our customer service line a call at 877.251.0359, and we'd be happy to set up a time for you to stop by.

Abby
    indiTailored

5. LukeZZ

LukeZZ Well-Known Member

I can't seem to find any contact info for "Chalk" online, and judging by this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=92844 the consensus seems to be "go to LA" or better yet Europe. Has anyone here used indiTailored or Mytailor? How is the quality / price. Edit: Also, any thoughts on how these would compare to getting an RTW shirt altered? --Luke

6. adelphi

adelphi Senior member

al's attire? dont know if theyre bespoke but i pass by their store daily and it seems cool

7. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know the people at Inditailored.
    they have tried to get me to work with them.
    shirts are made in Honduras. I prefer to keep my work in the USA.
    it is a well made garment. can't comment on the fit process as I have not used them.
    it is worth a try as they have a liberal return policy if fit is off.
    Carl

8. litho

litho Senior member

9. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

There was a program at Wilkes Bashford but I have no idea if they still do it for regular shirts.

I had some time to kill a few weeks back before a flight and a customer was trying on his MTM Kiton Cashmere French Cuff Shirt in burnt orange, completely decadent, but I am not sure how much use it would get in a wardrobe.

I am seriously trying to find time in the end of the year to make a 1 day trip to see CEGO.

Some have had bad luck , but for me MyTailor made some great shirts.

10. ohm

ohm Senior member

I can't seem to find any contact info for "Chalk" online, and judging by this thread:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=92844

the consensus seems to be "go to LA" or better yet Europe. Has anyone here used indiTailored or Mytailor? How is the quality / price.

Edit: Also, any thoughts on how these would compare to getting an RTW shirt altered?

--Luke

Use the search function. Sheesh. Will uses mytailor, lives in SF and has a blog called a suitable wardrobe.

11. sfo423

sfo423 Senior member

I used Andy Gorges for a few. Good selection of fabrics & buttons. Standard pricing for common fabrics; ~$130/each.

I have found better outside of SF.

12. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

I've been placing orders with MyTailor during their regular trips to The City. Will's recommendation was all I needed give them the first try.

I know of another forum member who uses Andy Gorges. I happened to be having some alterations done while he was being fitted. From what I could see, the shirts looked very nice.

13. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

chalk shut down about 6 months ago. Nice guys, but realized this business is harder then it seems. Carl
    They spoke very highly of you and your selfless efforts to help them.

14. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I used Andy Gorges for a few. Good selection of fabrics & buttons. Standard pricing for common fabrics; ~$130/each.

I have found better outside of SF.

I've been placing orders with MyTailor during their regular trips to The City. Will's recommendation was all I needed give them the first try.

I know of another forum member who uses Andy Gorges. I happened to be having some alterations done while he was being fitted. From what I could see, the shirts looked very nice.

Does anybody have recent experience with Andy's MTM shirts? I asked him about the service recently, he says they're made in LA and prices range from ~$110 to ~$400.

I like the fact that he's local, takes the measurements himself, and has the shirts made in USA, however his costs run at least 2X ModernTailor. Is the finished product worth the extra expense?