• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bespoke shirts in London - Fabric Selection question

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
I am looking for your advice on bespoke shirtmakers in London

For some years now I have been a bespoke customer of Turnbull & Asser in London. Having become increasingly frustrated with them (long lead-times, dubious customer service, some shoddy work on my most recent orders), I am thinking about taking my custom elsewhere.

Sean O'Flynn seems to be getting a lot of good press on this forum, and elsewhere, but are there other makers I should consider? I like quite a trim, well-fitting shirt, preferably with stitching and finishing of a higher quality than some of the stuff I have recently got from Turnbull & Asser.

Also, one final point of importance - I am not a huge fan of the Acorn fabrics - and would like a maker with access to some finer, less common fabrics (something like the ones Charvet use, or something like Riva fabrics). I am not after flamboyance - T&A's wilder stuff never grabbed me, and most of my shirts are predominantly blue (with some whites and pinks), just higher quality.

fox81

Reaction score
I'd be curious to know where you end up.
Riva and Alumo are very nice shirt fabrics

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by R.O. Thornhill
I am looking for your advice on bespoke shirtmakers in London

For some years now I have been a bespoke customer of Turnbull & Asser in London. Having become increasingly frustrated with them (long lead-times, dubious customer service, some shoddy work on my most recent orders), I am thinking about taking my custom elsewhere.

If you were content for along time hold a conversation first. Perhaps they will make you happy, again?!

ccffm1

Reaction score
I´m not a Turnbull & Asser customer, so take my comment for what it´s worth, but after all I´ve heard about them in the last two or three years I have come to believe that the problems there are too fundamental to sort out by way of a conversation. Still, I´d love to be proved wrong, because T&A is an institution. I just don´t appreciate their resting on their oars.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another maker to check out is David Gale. He is more expensive than Flynn, but also supposed to be very good (I don't have shirts from him). He used to operate out of Dunhill, and may still.

I think that most London shirtmakers are going to have the same "usual suspects" cloth: Thomas Mason, Acorn, and the like. Riva seems not to be used by anyone outside of Italy. Still, you can always ask whatever maker you end up with to open an account with other fabric sellers.

Umer

Reaction score
Try Alexander Boyd for Riva fabrics. Also David Gale no longer works for Dunhill.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for their helpful replies

With regards to Turnbull & Asser, I'm afraid that we are beyond the 'let's have a chat' stage. I have found their customer service poor, their lead-times inexplicably long, and the quality and reliability has really gone downhill recently, in my experience.

As for alternative makers:
- Never heard of Alexander Boyd before, anyone else with experience or comments?
- What is the latest on David Gale and Dunhill? Have heard very good things about him, but also read elsewhere that he was leaving Dunhill as he wan't happy with production being outsourced
- Will probably still see what Sean O'Flynn can do

Finally, and as a bit of a joker in the pack, I may try Leonardo Bugelli in Florence. I will be spending quite a lot of time in Florence over the next year, and from what I've heard he makes a very fine shirt. Any Bugelli customers who would be willing to share their experiences?

Patrician

Reaction score
Flynn's website says that "shirts start at £160", isnt that very cheap? Or maybe there's like a fee for the fitting and then a minimum of 10 shirts? I'm not familiar with bespoke at all.

sartorialexecutive

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for their helpful replies

As for alternative makers:
- Never heard of Alexander Boyd before, anyone else with experience or comments?

Alexander Boyd are run by the owners of Rayner & Sturges. Alexander Boyd have a website at http://www.alexanderboyd.co.uk and Rayner and Sturges are at www.raynersturges.com

Dunhill have (or will) outsourced production BECAUSE of David Gale retiring.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sean O'Flynn's website has a link to Alumo, implying that he uses their fabrics.

Also, one final point of importance - I am not a huge fan of the Acorn fabrics - and would like a maker with access to some finer, less common fabrics (something like the ones Charvet use, or something like Riva fabrics)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 140 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 263 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 16.0%
  • 31 - 40