• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke shirt gift idea/recommendation in San Francisco

wsitch

Reaction score
Hi all, first post, be gentle.

My brothers are joining me in San Francisco for xmas and I'm thinking about gifting one of them a set of bespoke shirts. I've been meaning to get some made for myself, and I think it sounds like a nice present to give to someone else.

We both have athletic builds and I've totally discovered slim fit shirts. Gap medium slims fit me perfectly, even though I'm 6'2" and 200lbs. Still, not much could beat a nice custom shirt.

He's here for two weeks over the xmas and ny holidays, is that enough time? I'm guessing with the season we might not get a trial fit before he leaves. Where should I start looking for tailors? Do you have recommendations of bespokers here in SF?

Thanks for any and all advice,
Will

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no bespoke worth getting in San Francisco.

July

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
There is no bespoke worth getting in San Francisco.

+1. You'd probably have to catch someone reputable on tour. That said, MTM is far easier to find..

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There was a mention awhile back of a place called Chalk which does mtm shirts, I think. I haven't tried them, but it might be a fun experience and a nice gift for your brother.

Otherwise, another city or a traveling tailor for full custom.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For the cost of one shirt, both of you can fly to LA where there are several makers better than anyone in SF.

The shirt won't be delivered until a month after your holidays are over but that's normal. It's are a measure once and make the shirt experience. If there's a problem you send the trial shirt back after laundering and they fix it before making the rest of your order.

DandySF

Reaction score
The Custom Shop in the Palace Hotel is the most visible option, but far from the best. I've used them and now avoid them.

Will, whose judgment in such things I defer to, has recommended My Tailor for shirts. I've begun meeting with Joe and ordering shirts on his periodic visits to the Hyatt, at the end of California St. I've been pleased with the shirts he produces.

Taxler

Reaction score
The poster doesn't seem to be asking for the best; he wants to move from the Gap to the next level up. There must be something in SF that can meet that criteria.

DandySF

Reaction score
I've noticed that both Nordstrom downtown and Brooks Brothers offer made-to-measure shirt programs. These might be options if you want to share with your brother the experience of choosing cloth, being measured, and specifying details.

cbird

Reaction score
The Loro Piana store offers a bespoke shirt service. They are probably very expensive, though - you'd probably find better deals in LA.

Dempsy444

Reaction score
Seymours entry shirt is $200 but not very impressive.

This will get you basic 120s fabric from a tier 2 supplier, short tails, weak collar and plastic buttons. However, the shirt will fit well. On the plus side, seymours has the skills and experience, so if you are clear about what you want and expect, they should be able to do it. (keep in mind that to have very nice shirt made bespoke where it is top fabric, finish and trim will typically cost you $350 and up in the industry and when people think of that sharp looking bespoke shirt that is what they are thinking of, not the $200 one)

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, the op found something since it his post was from 2008.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads