1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bespoke Seersucker Suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FLMountainMan, Sep 11, 2006.

1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Someone please talk me out of getting a bespoke seersucker suit! I have been offered a reasonable rate by a very respectable tailor. I still can't get around paying $600 for a seersucker suit, though. One more thing - this would be my first bespoke suit.

2. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

If it's really $600, and really bespoke, and actually well tailored, that's a great deal and I'm sure many here would jump on it. But $600 sounds awfully cheap for bespoke. Is the work done locally or is it a MTM Hong Kong jobby?

3. FLMountainMan

Done locally. The tailor in question has done quite a few suits for Travolta, and over the course of several years, so evidently to his satisfaction. I have confidence in her abilities, there is just something about seersucker as my first bespoke...also, she said six or seven hundred dollars. I have developed a pretty good relationship with her so I'm getting a little bit of a deal.

4. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior Member

Personally, I'd pass, but that is due entirely to the fact that I am not a fan of seersucker. But, if it is an actual bonafide tailor, and you have seen their past work and are satisifed, then $600 is a good deal. BUT, can you be comfortable dropping $600 for a suit you can't use for 8 months or so?

5. Will

Will Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I have one, and am happy I do. On the one or two times I wear it each normal year it gives me a great deal of pleasure.

And in the unlucky event I have to go to a hot and humid place like Manhattan in August, it's a godsend.

6. LARon

LARon Distinguished Member

Go for it; I'm having a red one made for next season. I love seersucker and have not been able to find a red one in just the right fabric, so I'm having it made.

If it's in your blood, go for it!

7. rnoldh

rnoldh Stylish Dinosaur

Someone please talk me out of getting a bespoke seersucker suit! I have been offered a reasonable rate by a very respectable tailor. I still can't get around paying $600 for a seersucker suit, though. One more thing - this would be my first bespoke suit.

Why don't you pay a little more and get your first Bespoke suit in a fine wool. Worsted, Flannel, Cashmere, whatever! It seems that the tailor is giving you a great price on the tailoring. Even if she were giving you the seersucker fabric for free, that would be $600 to tailor the suit which is a very good price. Add in the cost of your fabric, and the wool Bespoke suit would be very reasonable indeed. And a lot more versatile than a seersucker suit.

8. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, but the OP is from Florida.

Get the seersucker if you think you'll wear it a lot. It's a screamingly great price.

9. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I have confidence in her abilities,

Male chauvinist post warning:

I have yet to see a women tailor (other than the Neopolitan Anna Matuazo, sp.) do men's clothing that I would buy.

10. FLMountainMan

I suspect one of the reasons for her pricing is a severe lack of demand. She came from "up North" (aaahhh....don't they all) and was quite disappointed at the lack of demand for custom clothes here. Outside of the people at the top of scientology pyramid, there is not much demand for bespoke tailoring on this side of Tampa Bay. She offered a wool suit starting at $1,500. I have taken all my suits I've ever bought there, she's done a pretty good job.

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I suspect one of the reasons for her pricing is a severe lack of demand. She came from "up North" (aaahhh....don't they all) and was quite disappointed at the lack of demand for custom clothes here. Outside of the people at the top of scientology pyramid, there is not much demand for bespoke tailoring on this side of Tampa Bay. She offered a wool suit starting at $1,500. I have taken all my suits I've ever bought there, she's done a pretty good job.

Well you obviously know hr and her work better than anyone on this forum so are the most qualified to judge but I would use Ralph Lauren Blue Label, which you could get for $1,500 MTM, as her measuring stick.

I so want to be at the top of the Scientology pyramid [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. FLMountainMan

13. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior Member

$600 is very, very reasonable.

To give you a yardstick:

LS Mens Clothes (MTM by H. Freeman)--approx. $650-700; If you bought Loro Piana seersucker, then $1,000.

Oxxford (MTM)--$2,900.

Established Savile Row firm--$3,500+

14. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

I think seersucker is a great place to start with a bespoke tailor. If it works out you should have no hesitation about moving on to costlier cloth.
    Despite being a thoroughgoing Californian, I've always really liked seersucker. I have a mtm seersucker jacket from Eredi Chiarini in Florence that I wear quite often in warmer weather.

15. jmh

jmh Active Member

Do it, FLMountainMan. You'll get more wear out of the suit where you live than fellows in colder climes.

And the great price: a custom tailored suit for less than the cost of a good RTW sport coat.

I have a bespoke blue seersucker and it's a pleasure to wear every summer.

LARon: Where did you find the right red seersucker? Might be my next move.