Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bespoke Quality Alterations in NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quarantanove, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Quarantanove

Quarantanove Member

I've got a dinner suit from Attolini RTW that's a few years old, but fits perfectly and is made of a Smith's mohair/wool barathea, and has a really shocking amount of hand work in it (buttonholes, facings, lining etc). However, I made the mistake of choosing a DJ with satin facings (blame it on youthful lack of experience, bought it when I was 18). Is there anyone in NYC who could replace the facings (by hand preferably) with a high quality grosgrain, as well as getting new buttons covered in the same grosgrain? Would also love a decent boutonniere cut, as for some reason the Attolini has none, even though its buttonholes are very pretty and hand done...I assume I am looking for a bespoke tailor who would take alterations on outside garments, but I doubt any that I know of would (Logsdail, Fioravanti, Nicolosi, Raphael) and was wondering if there was any precedent.

Thank you!

PS: No time to send it back to Naples if that's even an option or wait for the NYC store to open, and De Corato will not do it as I didn't buy the suit through them.

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Bespoke tailors do not usually undertake work on RTW garments. You might find some small local man that would but what is wrong with the satin?

3. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

4. Quarantanove

Quarantanove Member

I just really prefer grosgrain facings, the satin is just too shiny for me.