• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke pronunciation

mrchapel

Reaction score
This has been bugging me for quite some time, and also prompted a disagreement, but how does one properly pronounce bespoke?

Is it BE-SPOKE, or BA-SPOKE. Or are the pronunciations interchangable depending on region? I've always maintained that it should be pronounced be-spoke, as to be spoken for, but a couple colleagues of mine have been pronouncing it ba-spoke. I'm wondering which is correct.

GMF

Reaction score
I think it's b'spoke, a very soft form of your BA-SPOKE.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
be (short "e") spoke

it's the same "be" as in the word "best"

mrchapel

Reaction score
Ahhh ok, it always did sound a bit odd when I said it be-spoke, but making it be-spoke as in the same e sound from best actually sound right. Thanks!

hobo

Reaction score
emphasis on which syllable?

montmorency

Reaction score
Just say custom and call it a day. Bespoke is a Britishism. There is nothing wrong with using the American equivalent word - custom.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was curious as well. Thanks.

montmorency

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Custom isn't quite correct.

why not?

Check out the name of Alex Kabbaz's business: Kabbaz-Kelly & Sons Fine Custom Clothiers

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I say it "bispoke" I think. Obviously I don't have many friends in real life I talk about clothes with. Montmercy: Let me clarify my above post. Custom isn't quite correct as the American equivalent because well, as a word it's widely used in the States. I would argue that "custom tailor" is just a colloquialism, and used to draw in customers who don't know what bespoke means. Furthermore, anything can technically be custom. Those Lands' End, JC Penney, or Target shirts are called "custom shirts." Hell, even some stuff completely off the rack are called "custom fit" just because you can buy the jacket and trousers separately. Bespoke is only dealing with clothes that are made specifically for one customer by actual tailors. EDIT: Furthermore I find on Dictionary.com it says nowhere that it's chiefly British. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bespoke

montmorency

Reaction score
Even if the term bespoke is widely used in the U.S. (and I don't think it is), so is the term custom. The term bespoke originated in England. It is mostly used to refer to the product of the Savile Row tailors. I don't see how the term custom tailor is a colloquialism. In the U.S., for a suit, it simply means a one of a kind suit that is designed and made to the buyer's specifications.

If you don't want to take my word, then you might be willing to accept Flusser's. Here is his definition of "bespoke", from p. 279 (glossary) of Dressing The Man: "BESPOKE: Custom-made; a term applied in England to articles made to individual order."

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I don't see Flusser as a god, unfortunately, so that's instantly refuted. Also, you'll find that many of us who are American call it bespoke...

montmorency

Reaction score
Not a God, but knowledgeable. I'm certainly ready to admit that he's more knowledgable than I am. He's been in the business for many, many years and has written four books on the subject. I don't accept his opinion on all matters of taste, but I, for one, don't question his knowledge of the industry.

Use the term bespoke if you like. When you go to wherever it is that you go to for ordering your bespoke garments, you are still having something custom made for you.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
But that's exactly my point! A ton of things can fall under the umbrella of "custom." Bespoke is referring to a specific process where something is cut, made, and styled specifically to your liking just for you. You don't see the Brits referring to shirts that are simply made to measure as "bespoke."

montmorency

Reaction score
Also, the fact that some merchants abuse the word custom does not change its meaning. If the term bespoke were widely used in the U.S., then some manufacturers or stores would use it to tout their goods too. For all I know, some merchants already do. The true meaning of the work remains. The buyer has to beware to make sure that what is being sold matches its description.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads