1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bespoke Overload?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Butler, Apr 14, 2011.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

You guys laugh, but the OP's situation is not unlike the norm on SF: too much collecting, not enough refinement and focus. That his clothes are bespoke is really neither here nor there.

1 person likes this.
  2. RSS

RSS Senior member

And this is just the point; in my experience you will often reach a point when commissioning bespoke clothes, where a lot of it will never or very rarely be worn, because you tend to favour some items more than others!
    Some have surely reached that point. In my wardrobe there are indeed suits and odd coats that have never been -- and perhaps never will be -- worn. Bespoke or off-the-rack it matters not.

As Vox has stated: "It is not a question whether one needs it, but that you want it" - but nevertheless, do we have a case of:

Bespoke overload?

The fun -- for me at least -- is commissioning the garment and seeing it progress though the various fittings. At that point, wearing it can be rather anticlimactic.

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

You guys laugh, but the OP's situation is not unlike the norm on SF: too much collecting, not enough refinement and focus. That his clothes are bespoke is really neither here nor there.

+1

4. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

This reminds me of an anecdote in the excellent biography of Yul Brynner who at the height of his fame had a mobile wardrobe of eighty six pairs of black trousers which travelled with him wherever he went.

5. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

^ This. In my first year here I amassed a pretty sizeable wardrobe, as the SF mantra is that you need to have a shit-ton of clothing. I would typically go one month without repeating a jacket or suit. But I would greatly anticipate those days when something I was wild about came into rotation. That's ridiculous. Variety is overrated, why not wear the heck out of things you enjoy the most. In the last 18 months I haven't bought a single jacket or suit, and actually reduced my wardrobe by about 50-60% (Houston folks, there are some good finds at Goodwill LOL). Here's what I'm left with, and honestly I still wear the same 6-7 jackets/suits (my favorites) about 80% of the time. Doesn't make for the best WAYWRN fodder, but makes for much better enjoyment of my wardrobe.

[​IMG]

6. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the issue people are having is not that he has too much clothes (as you mention, a sin of many here on SF) but rather that he is making it about bespoke clothes ("from the best artisans"). Whether the clothing is bespoke or Wal Mart, refinement and focus is more important than accumulation, as you mention. I just think that the OP came off as a bit of a braggard, willfully or not, by dismissing the same situation of the items are not bespoke.

1 person likes this.
  7. RSS

RSS Senior member

You guys laugh, but the OP's situation is not unlike the norm on SF: too much collecting, not enough refinement and focus.
    Agreed.

If I goto Walmart and buy 100+ different colored Hanes T-shirts along with 50+ matching pairs of $10 jeans I would have the exact same problem as what you have.
    Absolutely. Moreover, you'd have enough cash left over to buy a small vacation house.

8. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

There was a good thread a while back about whether one is better dressed with a minimalist wardrobe than with a collectionist wardrobe.

What I took from that was the idea of a critical mass wardrobe, above which one can improve by culling.

9. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

^ This. In my first year here I amassed a pretty sizeable wardrobe, as the SF mantra is that you need to have a shit-ton of clothing. I would typically go one month without repeating a jacket or suit. But I would greatly anticipate those days when something I was wild about came into rotation. That's ridiculous. Variety is overrated, why not wear the heck out of things you enjoy the most. In the last 18 months I haven't bought a single jacket or suit, and actually reduced my wardrobe by about 50-60% (Houston folks, there are some good finds at Goodwill LOL). Here's what I'm left with, and honestly I still wear the same 6-7 jackets/suits (my favorites) about 80% of the time. Doesn't make for the best WAYWRN fodder, but makes for much better enjoyment of my wardrobe.

[​IMG]

TC I hereby demand that before you send a single item more to goodwill that you PM me first. I can collect in person!

p.s. Which goodwill do you use? I'm always on the lookout for a bargain plus I have some stuff I'd like to sell too!

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I was going to post pretty much the same thing. Clothing should look worn, and lived in no matter the price... something that you actually wore and moved in, and pulled your pants down while deucing, and accidentally sprayed champagne on, and had cleaned because of some lipstick friendly fire on the collar.

11. desert_fox

desert_fox Member

OP, can we get a larger pic of the avatar? looks like a good time.

[​IMG]

12. mafoofan

I think the issue people are having is not that he has too much clothes (as you mention, a sin of many here on SF) but rather that he is making it about bespoke clothes ("from the best artisans"). Whether the clothing is bespoke or Wal Mart, refinement and focus is more important than accumulation, as you mention. I just think that the OP came off as a bit of a braggard, willfully or not, by dismissing the same situation of the items are not bespoke.

Bragging or not, I'm reluctant to judge since there is real meat to this discussion. It's of little importance what the OP's intentions were.

Also, I think over-collecting bespoke is distinguishable phenomenon.

13. newinny

newinny Senior member

Having lived in NYC and moved pretty much every year, I am forced to annually slim down my wardrobe.

This meant tossing a small NWT McQueen suit, my dad's 1970's bespoke suits, a loud plaid etro blazer and a lot of unworn shirts a couple months ago. If I lived in the 'burbs, they still would all be in a box down in the basement. Honestly it feels better when they're gone.

I'm happy to say that each suit and blazer in my closet gets worn.

14. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

TC I hereby demand that before you send a single item more to goodwill that you PM me first. I can collect in person!

p.s. Which goodwill do you use? I'm always on the lookout for a bargain plus I have some stuff I'd like to sell too!

Haha, well unfortunately all the undesirables are gone. I think my wife donated everything to the collection center on the corner of San Felipe and Shepherd, just a few weeks ago right before we moved. I have no idea where it ends up from there.

15. RSS

RSS Senior member

There was a good thread a while back about whether one is better dressed with a minimalist wardrobe than with a collectionist wardrobe.

What I took from that was the idea of a critical mass wardrobe, above which one can improve by culling.

Radicaldog started such a thread ... it was a good one.

16. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bragging or not, I'm reluctant to judge since there is real meat to this discussion. It's of little importance what the OP's intentions were.

Also, I think over-collecting bespoke is distinguishable phenomenon.

I'm not really sure what you mean [​IMG]

I think what people are "upset" about is that this was not meant to be a discussion, but a "hey everyone, look at me" threak. I honestly don't really care either way, just getting more confused as the thread goes on.

17. mafoofan

I'm not really sure what you mean [​IMG]

I think what people are "upset" about is that this was not meant to be a discussion, but a "hey everyone, look at me" threak. I honestly don't really care either way, just getting more confused as the thread goes on.

I'm just saying that regardless of the OP's intentions ("look at me!" or not), he raises a salient issue for discussion.

18. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I always thought Butler was really a butler and while his owner was away he played dress-up with his clothing. [​IMG]

19. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Radicaldog startes such a thread ... it was a good one.

That was it.

In the context of this thread, the Voxian advice would be to look at Biddle's Minimal Wardrobe and start editing down the bespoke collection to the pieces that he truly loves and wears.

Very much like TC did.

20. Aldehyde

Aldehyde Senior member

It's my guess that the OP is actually a butler and is asking how he can get his employer to select more than just his favorite suits.

I assume he lays out multiple outfits per day to allow the employer to choose what he likes best. Why not just make the seldom worn suit outfits look better than the favorites?