• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Overcoat

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The sleeves are fine. Had on gloves today and they easily came down over the base of the gloves. I think that's just the angle of the mirror.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The sleeves are fine. Had on gloves today and they easily came down over the base of the gloves. I think that's just the angle of the mirror.

OK, cool.
cheers.gif

I never usually trust photos for detail like that anyway; knew I shouldn't have on this one either.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton - it looks gorgeous to me; love the fit. Two questions:

What color/material are the buttons?

What is the venting?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Buttons are dark blue and appear to be A&S plastic.

Single center vent.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice (from what I can see)... Do the lapels have a hint of belly?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it better now with the lightened photo --- being able to see the details draws the eye away and makes the silhouette less pronounced. On the positive side, it shows how much shape is used by A&S (ex-)cutters.

Are the pockets slanted?

--Andre

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has renewed my interest in making a bespoke overcoat in the super heavywight W. Bill tan camelhair. It's something like 700 grams. Boo-yaa. Thinking a cross between a pea coat and ulster coat with the length at the top of the knee. Wouldn't be for this year though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
Very nice (from what I can see)... Do the lapels have a hint of belly?
There is some but it looks less pronounced than the belly on the DB jackets he has made me.

Originally Posted by A Y
IAre the pockets slanted?
No.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
This thread has renewed my interest in making a bespoke overcoat in the super heavywight W. Bill tan camelhair. It's something like 700 grams. Boo-yaa. Thinking a cross between a pea coat and ulster coat with the length at the top of the knee. Wouldn't be for this year though.

This s 700g. The swatch felt manageable. Almost thin. The cloth is so dense however that the coat weighs a ton.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is some but it looks less pronounced than the belly on the DB jackets he has made me.

I like it...The subtle hint of belly appears very elegant to my eyes and adds a bit of extra visual interest, without being to in-your-face.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This s 700g. The swatch felt manageable. Almost thin. The cloth is so dense however that the coat ways a ton.

Agree that the swatch of your coat does feel surprisingly thin. I've considered that or the gray version before. Glad to hear it's heavy when made up. I'm sure you know the W. Bill one I'm referring to which is super dense and nearly 1/4 inch in height. It looks and feels so toasty for East Coast winters.

Mort Sobite

Reaction score
Pic is worse than usual. Arguably useless. Sorry, camera not cooperating today.

p1030311ww.jpg

I can't really see the full length but it looks too long. A full length overcoat should come to the top of the knee (that's the traditional length) or if you like it longer than to the bottom on the knee. No other lengths are really acceptable and certainly not mid calf for a man's overcoat.
A shorter man should NEVER wear a very long mid calf coat and it should always be above the knee. Anything longer and he looks like Toulouse-Lautrec and it makes him look shorter or like a kid who's coat's too long for him.
I know they sell these longer coats but they're really not correct aside from the fact that the longer length is impractical. I had mentioned this to the tailor at Brooks where I have been buying clothes since I was 8 for school etc and he agreed and just said that well, that's what people want or that's what the buyer ordered. But even at Brokks most overcoats are as I said, to the top of the knee or the bottom of the knee whether you're a short or Tall.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads