• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke overcoat, couple questions

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've made the decision to have a new one made to replace the one i have that doesn't fit quite right so I'm starting to think about what it is I want exactly. The only thing I know for certain is that it will be a 3/4 length coat. Aside from that, I know I want the closure to be fairly high on my chest since it's kinda cold up here in canada and having an open V to mid-chest defeats the purpose of a WINTER coat imo heh. First of all, is double-breasted considered more dressy than single or is it irrelevant? Personally I don't think it makes a difference, but I'm wondering. Here's a couple coats I liked: one by Ralph Lauren: I like the pockets on this one; kinda like the placket too. one by Armani: I like the slim cut and the high closure here. one by Jil Sander: I'm assuming the stuff on the right of the coat are compression artifacts heh.. Otherwise it's just a great looking coat all around and I like how the lapels look turned up. If i were getting a similar one made however, I might make it a tad bit slimmer though. My coat is to be worn without a suit and I'm wondering what people think about a dark red lining (i'm thinking cruel intentions here)? I believe I read somewhere that the lining of the coat in the movie was silk satin. The problem that might occur here is if my coat is undone and the lining doesn't match my top (I've got lots of greys and blues from sky blue to navy). When he's wearing that coat in the movie he's either got black or charcoal underneath. Obviously if the lining matches what you're wearing under the coat, it's a plus, but if it doesn't is it a big faux pas? This is my main question as I can probably figure out what I want done for the rest of the coat on my own. Anyway if you have any comments on double vs single breasted or on the color of the lining matching the clothes which are underneath, please give them. Thanks. PS Abe2 if you're still around can you send me a private message? thx

pstoller

Reaction score
...is double-breasted considered more dressy than single or is it irrelevant? Personally I don't think it makes a difference...

I think it's irrelevant. The choice has more to do with your personal taste, your body type, and how you wear your coat than with one being inherently dressier than the other.

I'm assuming the stuff on the right of the coat are compression artifacts

It doesn't look that way. However, there's a chance that the funky detailing is only on the runway version, not on the coat you'll see in stores.

My coat is to be worn without a suit and I'm wondering what people think about a dark red lining...The problem that might occur here is if my coat is undone and the lining doesn't match my top (I've got lots of greys and blues from sky blue to navy).

Red goes well with blue or grey, so I don't think you'll have a problem there. A red lining could clash with a different shade of red, or orange, but it's a pretty good match with most other colors. (Of course, green might look a bit too Christmas-y when 'tis not the season.)

FYI, my personal favorite of the three examples was the Armani.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if i were buying a topcoat, it would def. be RL purple label, DB. check it out at www.victortalbot.com (i think spelling is correct on that). DB is warmer, of course, with the overlapping cloth. not to mention nice hand-finishing, nice grade of cashmere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads