1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bespoke or RTW overcoat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Jul 9, 2005.

1. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I know it is summer, but it is never too soon to be prepared for winter, hence the thought of an overcoat.

I am looking for advice on three issues:
    - Should go bespoke with the likes of Chan or Jantzen, or get a RTW one off eBay or other online retailers?
    - What is a classic style? I am leaning to raglan shoulders as I feel that it is more versatile for business and casual wear. Any suggestions?
    - Any suggestions on fabric type and makers? I am leaning towards a dark charcoal or dark navy.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

If this is a first overcoat, I would hesitate before getting a ragaln. It's a great coat, but a little out of the ordinary. It would look "off" in a typical smooth dark topcoating cloth. It's meant for cheviot or tweed or some patterned, less formal cloth. Plus, it really doesn't go so well with city suits.

If you need this coat for black tie as well as business, think about getting a black coat. Otherwise, dark gray or blue are fine. Personally, I would get blue.

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Consider a double-breasted camel overcoat--either camel or cashmere. Also, you might get a Loro Piana Storm System overcoat so that a winter raincoat would not be a necessity. Charcoal is also a most versatile color.

Actually, this week my clothes person (a very nice black woman) called that they had just gotten in some Loro Piana Storm System cashmere double-breasteds in camel. Maybe it was the extreme heat and humidity outside but I had them make working button holes and shorten the sleeves a little.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm in love with the covert coat at the moment, but that may not be appropriate for what you're looking for.

As for the question of going bespoke, my advice is to never do so unless you're certain of exactly what you want. If you don't know what you're looking for, I'd say you're better off browsing off-the-rack until you do.

5. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Chesterfields are useful as a halfway house between pure businesswear and black-tie-suitable. (Charcoal herringbone, black velvet collar).

Does anyone else here feel funny about pairing a SB overcoat with a DB suit? I don't actually own a DB overcoat, but am getting used enough to the idea of DB jackets that I might have to rethink the whole problem.