• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Or Not?

TAYLOR

Reaction score
What means the term Bespoke? Does it just mean that it's handmade? How do I know it is bespoke or not?
I tried looking around for an exact explanation but can't find 2 opinions saying the same!

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TAYLOR
What means the term Bespoke? Does it just mean that it's handmade? How do I know it is bespoke or not?
I tried looking around for an exact explanation but can't find 2 opinions saying the same!

Well you're likely to be able to recognize something as bespoke if you ordered its exact characteristics and went to several fittings to make sure everything is right.
wink.gif

Basically it means made entirely from scratch just for the customer. Different from made to measure (MTM) as with MTM the merchant takes individual measurements and adapts an existing pattern to them.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Bespoke implies a full-custom, one-of-a-kind creation. A bespoke suit is not just one that is made to a customer's measurements, but rather one that is exacted to the customer's body through multiple fittings directly with a tailor. Also, the customer is able to specify every detail of what the finished product will have.

The same goes for shirtings, footwear, et al.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dressed smart
like a London Bloke.
Before he speak
his suit bespoke.

- B

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Dressed smart
like a London Bloke.
Before he speak
his suit bespoke.

- B

Aren't you the American boy? I just showed this thread to the 16 year old boy of the house and he fell out. I used the song to explain bespoke and Savile Row to him a few months ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads