1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bespoke or MTM suit recommendation.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lebesguenumber, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Lebesguenumber

Lebesguenumber Member

So recently I decided that I really need to own a real, proper suit instead of my old school uniform I used for GCSE or the only suit I bought from M&S during sixth form. But as a university student, I don't have a huge budget to spend on clothings. In fact, the ideal budget would be somewhere around £1500, though I would probably like to pay £2000 for a really nice one.

Having done some research, however, I realised that this is actually a rather awkward amount of budget; most of the off-the-rack suits tend to cost somewhere around £700, and probably won't fit, whilst the true bespoke ones from Savile street tend to worth over £3k, which is beyond what I'm willing to pay for my first suit.

After some further research, I discovered that there are some more affordable options for bespoke suits, either in London off the savile street, like Cad and Dandy, which offers suits under £2000, or from some other provincial tailors. But I have no idea which one should I go for, plus I can't seem to find any good tailors in Manchester anyway.

There is also another problem. Since £2000 is all I can afford for a suit, I thus wouldn't like to make any further investments( at least not in this semester) on formal wears, meaning that I have to make my choice between buying a semi-formal business suit or a formal dinner suit. Even though it's very rare that I will be involved in any sort of black tie event, I certainly don't want to wear a bow tie with a lounge suit during such an event, but then, wearing a tie in a tuxedo doesn't sound like a good idea either.

So any good suggestions from the forum members here? Should I buy a business suit or a dinner suit? Is it better for me to go bespoke or just MTM, and if i'm going bespoke, should I go for the ones at london or the ones nearby? Many thanks.

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Try the Cad and the Dandy, I've seem some good reports about them and they are well within your budget. Avoid such clowns as a 'A suit that fits', (they rarely do), Norton and Townsend or ANY on-line tailor - their offerings are even less likely to fit than 'A suit that doesn't fit'.

As to evening dress, surely a lounge suit will be of greater utility to you - if needs be hire an evening dress until you have 3/4 decent suits.

It is difficult to speak about "local tailors" although I have NEVER seen anything about such persons on here. Stick to C and D, they are good compromise offering a bespoke product which will be far more personal than any MTM from a provincial house.

1 person likes this.
  3. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

You could also look into Steed Bespoke Tailor's MTM offerings. Considerably less expansive than their bespoke service, but you get a top-quality product.

1 person likes this.
  4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1 www.steedtailors.co.uk/

5. Wayward

Wayward Senior member

Am I the only one who's spotted the perfect storm of "university student", "first suit" and "bespoke"?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/356471/when-you-should-go-bespoke

You can get so much more out of that budget, including shirts, ties and shoes, maybe even formalwear on top. Also, when you say RTW "probably won't fit", what is that based on? What are your measurements? Have you looked around and tried on suits first? What are the problems you've had with fit? What is your age bracket? Does your weight fluctuate? Is there still room for growth?

Take a step back. Read up more on this forum, then decide whether bespoke really is the best/only way to go.

1 person likes this.