• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Options for SF/NYC

earlofsavoy

Reaction score
Hi All,

In about 3 months (first week of July), I will be getting married in Los Angeles. I assumed that I would rent, but after checking out the rental options yesterday, I changed my mind and decided for this special occasion, I would to treat myself.

I'm looking for recommendations for MTM/bespoke in NYC/SF. I'll be flying to NYC next week, and am based out of San Francisco (which does not have many great options for formal wear). My budget is around $5k

I'm ~ 5'8 and athletic with nice broud shoulders and chest for my size, and am looking for a classic yet not too stuffy style since the wedding is in more casual LA. I don't want too much shoulder padding, but would still like some structure and roping, waist supression, and and am open to either a shawl or peak lapel.

My main concern is that it seems the OTR options at Barneys/Nieman were too expensive for what I was getting, but the bespoke/MTM options in SF are limited, and I am in a time crunch with my wedding being ~3 months away.

I'd rather pay a premium for a bespoke tux (and I can get a suit on the side) for a tailor from a reputable house at Saville Row/Italy to fly out (some did have this option if I committed enough since they had tailors travelling for Trunk shows) than buy OTR. The middle ground would be a MTM near me or close by I can fly to (including NYC next week)

So recommendations for MTM/Bespoke that meet these criteria are welcome! I attached as well as two picture of a styles I liked (the latter being from Hackett form Mr Porter)

20131219_151124.jpg unnamed.png

1000.jpeg

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If memory serves correctly, bespoke and MTM tailor options in NYC have been discussed a few times in the 16 years of SF. Start by performing a search of the relevant threads and once you have sorted through some of the discussions and recommendations, come back with a specific set of questions.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably do not have enough time for Bespoke from the UK.
Bespoke from NYC might be more realistic. Other SF members
can make suggestions. While in NYC, check Paul Stuart for both RTW
and MTM as well as Bespoke. Also, look at Bergdorf and Saks. They
tend to have a greater selection than their San Francisco equivalents.
Have you looked locally at Wilkes? It's a store that I never really liked
and IMHO it is worse under its' new ownership. Nevertheless, they may have
something for you.

Last edited:

earlofsavoy

Reaction score
Cheers, I will get them out. I did check out Tom Ford OTR/MTM today as a backup, and their options were limited in SF, so I will check out their flagship in NYC. While I loved their jackets, it makes me a little sad I'm paying the same amount for what I could get a bespoke for, but I guess that may be the price I pay for being in SF

Torsion

Reaction score
Not posted for a while but saw this. In NYC check out Sam Wazin for bespoke. He's mentioned here, I sent several people his way - his pricing is amongst the most competitive in NYC for what he offers, also recently launched MTM if that's the route you want to take however for your budget you can def get bespoke https://www.gq.com/story/insiders-guide-to-the-best-tailors-in-america

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree.I haven't bought a piece of tailored clothing
here in about 15 years.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to dieworkwear and urbancomp. Tailor's Keep will do non-fashion proportioned pieces, but what you see is probably what their clientele want.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a believer in not going against "house style"
At a higher level, you don't go to Anderson and Sheppard
for the Huntsman cut, even though A and S could probably do it.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked for a while, so this might be out of date, but their MTM is by Southwick. So, one should be able to make any changes one wanted within the Southwick system and expect the same results regardless of what the TK house style is.

Their bespoke trousers are truly bespoke and look great. I don't know if they're producing bespoke jackets yet.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not quite bespoke, but Kent Wang MTM is pretty well regarded on SF for quality, fit, and price (well below your price point). I went to get fitted with Aaron when I was in NYC on business and the fit was spot on when I received it.

Bespoke turn around might be tough in less than 3 months, and the key with MTM is making sure you have a knowledgeable fitter and not just a sales person (as is often the case)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads