• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke/MTM in NYC

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Moving to NYC in a couple weeks and am looking for tailor recs. Don't kill me: I tried a search and couldn't differentiate alterations tailors from true suit/shirtmakers. Also, I have some specific criteria.

Manhattan location is greatly preferred, and south of Central Park. Suit should be cut and constructed in-house. I don't want tailors who have various pricing levels based on levels of construction -- they should construct all suits to a certain high standard (full canvas, hand-rolled lapels, surgeon's cuffs, ticket pocket should all be standard), with higher pricing reserved for nicer fabrics and more customized/unusual orders (mixing fabrics, embroidering, etc...). They should be serious about the creation process and *want* to have me in for at least three fittings. I'm a young guy but I work in finance, so the cut should be flattering (i.e. not boxy) while still being conservative. Finally, a price range of $1000-1600/suit and $150-200 a shirt.

Lord Nonsie

Reaction score
One great option is Len Logsdail. I have used him before and he is truly a wonderful tailor and a good friend.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're pricing expectation is unrealistic. The big name NYC tailors charge $5-6k a suit. In your budget, you can do MTM, Mr. Ned, Ercole, or W.W. Chan. Being picky isn't an option unless you want to spend significantly more.

I'm perplexed by the specificity of your geographical preference. There are so few good bespoke tailors in the U.S., nonetheless Manhattan, I'd think you'd be willing to sit on the subway a few extra stops to get to the right guy.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You're pricing expectation is unrealistic. The big name NYC tailors charge $5-6k a suit. In your budget, you can do MTM, Mr. Ned, Ercole, or W.W. Chan. Being picky isn't an option unless you want to spend significantly more.

I'm perplexed by the specificity of your geographical preference. There are so few good bespoke tailors in the U.S., nonetheless Manhattan, I'd think you'd be willing to sit on the subway a few extra stops to get to the right guy.

/thread

leftover_salmon

Reaction score

So what you're saying is that there are no tailors in NYC who can cut a decent suit in-house for less than $5k? (That's essentially all I'm asking.) Doesn't make any sense. But hey, I don't live there.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ercole's can, just slightly over your budget. Shirts are right at your budget.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
So what you're saying is that there are no tailors in NYC who can cut a decent suit in-house for less than $5k? (That's essentially all I'm asking.) Doesn't make any sense. But hey, I don't live there.

What I'm saying is that your budget is the constraining factor here. Your question appears to presume you can afford to be picky. In fact, for $1,000-1,600 in NYC, you'll have to more or less take what you can get. It is unlikely (if not impossible) to be bespoke rather than made-to-measure, and you won't find enough options such that it makes sense to pick based on location in Manhattan.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
What I'm saying is that your budget is the constraining factor here. Your question appears to presume you can afford to be picky. In fact, for $1,000-1,600 in NYC, you'll have to more or less take what you can get. It is unlikely (if not impossible) to be bespoke rather than made-to-measure, and you won't find enough options such that it makes sense to pick based on location in Manhattan.
I guess Manhattan is being a bit picky. Brooklyn/Queens would be fine as long as it's somewhat accessible from the city (and open weekends since I have *no* time during the week). Also, I said MTM in addition to bespoke, as long as the MTM is somewhat customizable. Does that help matters at all?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
don't get hung up on terms. (bespoke/mtm)

Mr. ned, ercole, A & A, David Reeves, are all good choices.
you are not asking for anything out of the ordinary.
I know ned charges for working buttonholes and pick stitiching but, those choices will still keep you under your price point.

Not sure why Lord Nonsie mentioned Logsdail, as leonard is way north of $1600.

Do they "want" you for three fittings? if that is the process, then that is what you get. and the 4 i mentioned will do that.

you will get what you are looking for. just be specific. and make your requests as a gentleman and not a demanding prick.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
don't get hung up on terms. (bespoke/mtm)

Mr. ned, ercole, A & A, David Reeves, are all good choices.
you are not asking for anything out of the ordinary.
I know ned charges for working buttonholes and pick stitiching but, those choices will still keep you under your price point.

Not sure why Lord Nonsie mentioned Logsdail, as leonard is way north of $1600.

Do they "want" you for three fittings? if that is the process, then that is what you get. and the 4 i mentioned will do that.

you will get what you are looking for. just be specific. and make your requests as a gentleman and not a demanding prick.

I'm not a demanding prick -- quite the opposite. I'm looking for a place that isn't just going to take my measurements and deliver a suit 4-6 weeks later. I'm looking for a tailor that will offer more of a collaborative relationship.

If my original post was curt, it's because it was 1am and I was tired and just wanted to get to the point.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gilberto is also an option.
i know all of these people.
Ned and A & A will be less likly to hold your hand through the process.
I am not saying you won't get what you want.
in all cases, once the fit is nailed, it all gets easier.

RangerP

Reaction score
Hey Shirtmaven,

You seem to know your NYC tailors/companies very very well base on this thread and others you've commented on.

Would you mind giving your opinion on Michael Andrews Bespoke?

I'm not even in the market for a MTM suit in NYC, I'm just curious... and I know they are MTM and not bespoke.

Thanks!

And sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread, although it is related to the matter at hand.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RangerP
Hey Shirtmaven,

You seem to know your NYC tailors/companies very very well base on this thread and others you've commented on.

Would you mind giving your opinion on Michael Andrews Bespoke?

I'm not even in the market for a MTM suit in NYC, I'm just curious... and I know they are MTM and not bespoke.

Thanks!

And sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread, although it is related to the matter at hand.

Michael Andrews from what I have seen looks very fashion forward. Most of the fits I see are just tight suits. It is essentially Thick as Thieves for people with money to burn.

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Michael Andrews from what I have seen looks very fashion forward. Most of the fits I see are just tight suits. It is essentially Thick as Thieves for people with money to burn.

Thanks Patrick, I like your comparison
laugh.gif

I've never actually seen any MAB suits so that's very good to know.

I assume that by simply the reference to Mr. Ned on this forum that he is much better than Michael Andrews for what appears to be a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads