1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bespoke Maxwell wingtips on EBay

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kabert, Apr 5, 2005.

1. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

2. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

Kabert,

Just in case anyone considered bidding, I think this seller won't ship internationally but will ship to the U.S. and Canada. These seem like a real short size 11-about an 1/8" shorter, they might pass for a 9.

3. lisapop

lisapop Senior Member

It's pointless to purchase bespoke apparel made for someone else's physical measurements, and it's downright dangerous to wear shoes made for someone else's feet.  If the shoe's meant to fit someone else's foot, don't wear it.
    Grayson

4. Ed355

Ed355 Senior Member

These shoes have to be more than 15 years old. Maxwell used to have the premises near Gieves & Hawkes (but not quite on Savile Row) in the late 90s, and before that, was operating underneath Huntsman. The New Bond Street address must have been before that.

5. kabert

I know it sounds crazy, pointless, uncomfortable and perhaps even dangerous, but I've done it twice now with bespoke Lobbs I've gotten on EBay. With no ill effects. I think in these cases, the prior owner (yes, used shoes) had relatively normal feet. I guess I got lucky, but they fit me extremely well. (Of course, I'd expect you could quite rightly say that I don't *know* good fit until I've had shoes made for me....)

Now, I've got to sign off to go to bed as my knees and back are killing me.

6. lisapop

lisapop Senior Member

Kabert, actually I can see your point regarding the bespoke Lobbs as it is my experience that Lobb is quite conservative in the measuring process, doing very little measuring at all, and producing a shoe that pretty much replicates a ready made shoe. So I'll concede your poiint although you may have still lucked-out to an extent. Good for you, though. Lobb was a shoe-in for you.
    Grayson

7. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

It must be an awful long time ago that Messrs. Maxwell had premises on Bond Street (late 60s I would guess). Prior to their current owner Foster, they were in Vigo Street, South Audley Street, Savile Row and, I believe, Dover Street. With every change of address they had a change of ownership. The Bond Street address must have been right opposite Asprey's.
    There is a long tradition here in England (and elsewhere, I presume) for sons to continue wearing their fathers' bespoke footwear. Just like other shoes, they will mould to your own foot. I would have no hesitation to buy second hand bespoke shoes if I could try them on; I definitely would not pay high prices on eBay. There might be significant differences between the left and the right shoe. But if the shoes fit reasonably well to start with, why not continue wearing them?

8. lisapop

lisapop Senior Member

I imagine orthopaedic surgeons in the UK are treating patients of privilege suffering from dysfunctional feet as a result of wearing bespoke hand-me-downs. Tradition or not, it is highly inadviseable to wear another person's bespoke shoes. The muscles and bones in one's feet are much too fragile and complex to fool around in this manner. Although, if there's a second-hand market for bespoke Lobbs, I might put mine up for sale.
    Grayson

9. kabert

There is a second-hand market on EBay for ANY high-end shoes, be they bespoke or RTW. I'm afraid the prices obtained by sellers might establish a new high-water mark for depreciation though. Nearly new calfskin bespoke Lobbs are unlikely to sell for more than about $650 on Ebay. Brand new Lobbs (still in box) regularly sell for about $450. Croc Lobbs though have sold for over $1,000 on Ebay that I've seen. Grayson, you might have better luck selling your shoes to members here. I have bought a couple pairs from one of our regular members who happens to have size 12-1/2 -- 13 feet too. We exchanged $$ via paypal. Simple.

10. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Distinguished Member

My father has a pair of amazing loafers from Maxwell with the dover street address. Would you know what time frame?

Thanks

-