• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bespoke math

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Uh, yeah - as with any tailor. But his starting price is a little over $2K with good English cloth.

It also depends on all of the seam lapping, and lined, or partially lined and such. All of those things cost more.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It also depends on all of the seam lapping, and lined, or partially lined and such. All of those things cost more.

Jesus dude - my point is that his suits start a little over $2K. I'm not asking you to list out every imaginable configuration to showcase your knowledge of bespoke or Frank's offering.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Jesus dude - my point is that his suits start a little over $2K. I'm not asking you to list out every imaginable configuration to showcase your knowledge of bespoke or Frank's offering.

If you diamonds for buttons that also costs more. OR lining made of ermine.

Last edited:

Rudolf

Reaction score
$3,000 for Bespoke suit is a very reasonable price, unfortunately what you would be receiving is not what you think is a Bespoke suit. Over the years the meaning of Bespoke has changed and is becoming very misleading to clients Bespoke today means, that a pattern would be created for your individual measurements.(not some adjusted pattern). What you are expecting since you mention 80 hours to complete is what I call "True Bespoke", this includes all that beautiful fine hand stitching which you hear so much about and at least 2 fittings. If your suit is not True Bespoke than $3,000 is a little high. Always, always ask for a sample of the tailors work before you put down a deposit and check the inside and outside of the jacket. If the stitching is too perfect then you are not paying for a True Bespoke suit.

For the question of the cloth 3 3/8 yards of plain fabric is sufficient.
The worth lies in the workmanship not in the cloth.

Rudolf Popradi, Bespoke

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3.75 yards is plenty for a basic suit. you will need 1/4 yard more for a plaid (GBR as usual you are wrong!)
offer to pay the tailor in cash. should also avoid sales tax..
since i do not know who the tailor is, i doubt that a pattern is actually being drafted in the usa and then sent to HK/china. Unless the tailor has a cad program.
I also doubt that you will receive a basted fitting. too expensive shipping garments back and forth.
you might have a fitting with unfinished sleeves and no buttonholes.
I have seen fantastic work coming out of China but $3000 does seem a bit high even with the Dormeuil fabric and bemberg lining.
i have seen garments from Ercole and chan. both do an excellent job for less.

I think that you will find that YOU are wrong. 4m is the normal figure quoted for a suit and indeed you admit as 3.75 plus .25 does actually equal 4. I do not doubt some tailors can get away with slightly less with plain pattern for smaller people but that figure is frequently quoted and indeed what I have supplied to a tailor who derived no benefit from there being more cloth.

Indeed this is information gleaned here in the long gone heyday of the Forum.

Last edited:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're spending 2,3,4K or more and you're worried about .25 metres of fabric??????

Spend your time trying to make sure the tailor doesn't waste too much thread. That would be an even bigger saving.

Brendon

Reaction score
GBR
are you talking yards or metres?, either way this may help. I am a size 42 chest ( 108cm) 54 Italian size 31 1/2 coat length 38 waist, I am no slim jim, and I can get a suit out of 3.2 metres whatever that is is yards. 3.3m and I dont have to think about the lay. I am not being critical, you can only go on what your tailor asks for. However I would hazzard a guess that you tailor in building up his collection of mungo ( left over cloth) for waistcoats.
I hope this is of help
Brendon

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GBR
are you talking yards or metres?, either way this may help. I am a size 42 chest ( 108cm) 54 Italian size 31 1/2 coat length 38 waist, I am no slim jim, and I can get a suit out of 3.2 metres whatever that is is yards. 3.3m and I dont have to think about the lay. I am not being critical, you can only go on what your tailor asks for. However I would hazzard a guess that you tailor in building up his collection of mungo ( left over cloth) for waistcoats.
I hope this is of help
Brendon

Yards

I try to avoid metres!

vladimir

Reaction score
...I would need 3.5 meters of cloth, which probably retails for $150 per meter ($450)...
Ah, thanks. I was wondering what "bespoke math" was—now I see. I recently had a suit made, but we used regular math. You know, the kind where 3.5 x $150 = $525. ;)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$3,000 is really too expensive, but i don't think it's possible for you to ask for a bargain. Maybe you could try to find another store... There were many stores available, it's not necessary to worry at all. For example, http://www.upunique.com, http://www.tailor4less.com, and the like.

:spam:

The title of the thread is 'bespoke math', not '****** online made-to-measure math'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads