• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke in Progress - critique welcome!

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Fresh from the infamous style desert™(credits to Mr. Phat Guido!) of Singapore: Did not have a camera(wo)man handy during the first two fittings, but here are some pictures during my third and final fitting:
front1.jpg
side.jpg
pants.jpg
pants2.jpg
I have requested include slightly more open quarters, as well as slight tweaking in the back (no pictures, sorry!) As I have asked for surgeon/working cuffs, this is my last chance to tweak the sleeve length. Should I ask for slightly longer sleeves, and if so, how much longer? Any other changes that you might add? **Apologies for the poor picture quality. Shop lighting was not superb and I will post better and more comprehensive pictures when I take delivery of the final product. -edit: wrong picture posted. stupid.

Jferg4350

Reaction score
Jacket looks a little tight (pulling at button)
Pants look tight in the butt region
Jacket sleeve length is personal preference depending on how much cuff you like to show

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gshen

As I have asked for surgeon/working cuffs, this is my last chance to tweak the sleeve length. Should I ask for slightly longer sleeves, and if so, how much longer?

Yes. You should lengthen them half the length of the currently exposed shirt sleeve.

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
Ya the sleeves are pretty short. Should bring them down to about mid wrist. Your shirt hangs to the start of your thumb anyways so you will be fine on length

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
Also looks like the Pants length in the back should be brought down some to cover more of the shoe

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you would please post a picture with a tie on and your shirt's collar done up, we might get a better idea of how the collar of the suit sits round your neck and shoulders. It looks fine, and if there were a problem, it can easily be fixed, anyway. :)

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As the suit is with the tailor right now, I am afraid I cannot produce any more pictures.. I am fairly certain the collar hugs my neck nicely though.

More detailed pictures of construction etc in a week or so!

Ward

Reaction score
Lengthen the sleeve 1/4 inch. Cuff is good, but you've got too much cuff going on. Your shirt should hit the very first joint of your thumb (which they are doing just fine) while the jacket cuff hits 1/4 to 1/2 inch tops from the bottom of the shirt.

Pants are tugging at the hip so have them check the crotch for a bit of release so you get a bit more room in the seat. Right now they look like chick pants because they accentuate your rear too much.

I know it's preference but those flat front pants would be excellent without cuffs. I really like the side tabs in place of belt loops.

Jacket back looks great and the shoulder fits great. Only other thing I say is that when you do get this suit finished, I know you'll probably leave one sleeve button unbuttoned to show off the fine tailoring, however, please don't unbutton more than one. Then it starts looking pretentious.

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
^^
Thank you for the detailed post!

At my tailor's insistence, I will be going down for a final final fitting to ensure the sleeve length is perfect. I will also check the pants for tightness and have it corrected as necessary.

These are my first cuffed trousers, and I don't think I will be going back to cuffless regardless of flatfront/pleated anytime soon...

Leaving one button unbuttoned, as discussed in a recent thread, is going to be part of my learning process of style! But I will certainly not leave more than one unbuttoned. Thanks for your concern anyway.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Looks nice. Which tailor in Singapore and price point? (assuming that Da Vinci is that furniture shop)

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have requested include slightly more open quarters.

BTW there is no such part of a coat as "the quarters". The part in question is called the skirt. The better way to say it is ask for the front of the skirt to be cut away to be more open.

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Potato
Looks nice. Which tailor in Singapore and price point? (assuming that Da Vinci is that furniture shop)

Thanks! I believe its a relatively unknown tailor... Iris Tailor. The tailor was actually recommended by an acquaintance who is a relative of the tailor so i got a discount, though I'm not certain how much. I will ask the tailor what the going price is and release more details in my next post.

Originally Posted by Sator
BTW there is no such part of a coat as "the quarters". The part in question is called the skirt. The better way to say it is ask for the front of the skirt to be cut away to be more open.
Thank you for the correction Sator.. I am still a newb to these terms and your guidance is much appreciated!

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Thanks! I believe its a relatively unknown tailor... Iris Tailor. The tailor was actually recommended by an acquaintance who is a relative of the tailor so i got a discount, though I'm not certain how much. I will ask the tailor what the going price is and release more details in my next post.
Iris Tailor at Far East Plaza is it not? Isn't that the usual tourist trap? But do post a review on your experience. I might stop by on my next visit to Singapore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads