• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bespoke in minnesota

yams

Reaction score
I recently moved to rochester, minnesota and was wondering if anyone can recommend a bespoke tailor for shirts and/or suits? Any recommendations in the twin cities (minneapolis / st. paul) area would be ok too. a quick google search came up with bavender.com. Does anyone have any experience with them? thanks!

bandaloop

Reaction score
Lindale and Lake in Minneapolis.

Otherwise, try Despos in Chicago.

CharlestonBows

Reaction score
Maybe give M. Mathis a look -- he can at least point you in a direction if he can't help out.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
I was looking at moving to Mpls. at one time and spent some time walking around downtown and happened into both Marty Mathis's place and a similar spot in the Foshay Tower run by a fellow by the name of Chavez.

Both places are MTM businesses -- i.e., measure you and send measurements to factories in, I believe in both cases, Chicago. Marty was more up-front about his operations and Chavez would admit that's what he was doing only when pressed. You couldn't call either one bespoke. There's also MTM from the department stores such as Neiman Marcus or Hubert White's in the IDS Building.

I think "Sew What" Tailors (I think that's the right name -- do AAAC or SF searches to verify) might do some bespoke, but I haven't been there to ascertain the facts. If you're looking for true bespoke, I think the trip to Chicago is worth the money.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Sew What is an alterations tailor, I have not received good work from them.

Top Shelf does custom shirts and suits, I think they are MTM, I've never gotten anything from them. http://www.topshelfinc.com/

There is definitely no one named Chavez in the Foshay Tower, the Foshay Tower is closed right now and will soon reopen as a W hotel.

Marty Mathis is in the Northstar Building downtown and also does MTM stuff.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DoTheGrownup
Sew What is an alterations tailor, I have not received good work from them.

Top Shelf does custom shirts and suits, I think they are MTM, I've never gotten anything from them. http://www.topshelfinc.com/

Yes -- that's it. I had the name wrong. Thanks for clearing up.

There is definitely no one named Chavez in the Foshay Tower, the Foshay Tower is closed right now and will soon reopen as a W hotel.
Here's his website which should reveal accurate location: http://www.carlosjchavez.com/

Looks like he got the boot from Foshay so that they can W things up.

yo!

Reaction score
+1 on TOPSHELF, I have a friend who has had many suits made there.

Marty M

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yams
I recently moved to rochester, minnesota and was wondering if anyone can recommend a bespoke tailor for shirts and/or suits? Any recommendations in the twin cities (minneapolis / st. paul) area would be ok too. a quick google search came up with bavender.com. Does anyone have any experience with them? thanks!

Welcome to Minnesota Yams. All of the Custom Clothiers up here are MTM guys. My shop is included with this group. We're all pals and help each other out if needed. I don't know of any MTM in Rochester. If you plan a visit to Mpls, give me a shout. I'll give you the contact numbers of all of the MTM guys here.
Marty Mathis

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Marty is a stand up guy. King Bavender is a great stylist. They both have been around a long time and will have integrity about what they make for you.
Talk to them both and see who you would like to work with.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Marty is a stand up guy.
How so? Personally, I like Marty but what particularly leads you to brand him stand up. Please elaborate.

le.gentleman

Reaction score
The last time I dropped by at Heimie's Haberdashery in downtown St. Paul In June, I was told that they hired a bespoke tailor and they intend to offer full bespoke service in the near future. Right now, they still offer MTM and when I tried to ask whether it will really be"bespoke instead of MTM" they intend to offer they insisted it would be full bespoke.
Unfortunately, Anthony (the boss) and Duncan, a knowledgeable chap there were both not present that day - so I was left with not the most competent staff.
Therefore, it might be worth to give them a call.

http://heimies.com/ (although it's not up to date I suppose the phone number is still correct)

Good luck!

StreetLaw

Reaction score
Top Shelf (on the corner of 31st Street and Lyndale) in South Minneapolis is a good MTM tailor. They do suits, shirts, and accessories.

Top Shelf's owner, Tom Meegan, is a great pleasure to work with, and can help you decide what you want.

For non-custom clothes, Hubert White (on the ground floor of the IDS Center downtown) is nice, too.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
King Bavender is a great stylist.

King Bavender is an awesome name.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads