• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke in Houston?

MRex

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!
I've been thinking about getting a bespoke suit, &c. for a while now, but haven't had too many options available around me. That seems as though it will be changing, as I'm moving down to Houston, TX toward the beginning of August. I looked around the forums for recommendations out there, but haven't found anything very current or decisive. If anyone has recommendations for bespoke tailors and/or cobblers (especially with a more traditional style), I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

--MR

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Houston. I use and can recommend Steed. Edwin travels here three times a year and is likely to restart his travels soon after you move here.

Hamilton is a local shirt option, but I'm loyal to CEGO in NYC.

MRex

Reaction score
I live in Houston. I use and can recommend Steed. Edwin travels here three times a year and is likely to restart his travels soon after you move here.

Hamilton is a local shirt option, but I'm loyal to CEGO in NYC.

Thank you! Any recommendations for fabric type, weight, weave, &c. based on the climate down there?

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Houston is so unbearably hot and humid for half the year that (assuming you stick around for the summer) you'll never really be outside in a suit. You'll go from one over air conditioned spot to another. That's true even if your office is downtown and you walk to lunch because you'll typically just scurry along in the tunnels.

Put differently: no suit in the world will make our summer weather feel comfortable, so just get stuff on the lighter side and stay indoors when you're dressed up between mid-April and mid-October

MRex

Reaction score
Houston is so unbearably hot and humid for half the year that (assuming you stick around for the summer) you'll never really be outside in a suit. You'll go from one over air conditioned spot to another. That's true even if your office is downtown and you walk to lunch because you'll typically just scurry along in the tunnels.

Put differently: no suit in the world will make our summer weather feel comfortable, so just get stuff on the lighter side and stay indoors when you're dressed up between mid-April and mid-October

Ha ha! Challenge accepted. I've not gone outside without at least a suit jacket since my second semester in college (sans manual labor or other such physical activity), and I've not worn short sleeves in as long as I can remember. I get the distinct impression that linen will be a good friend for informal occasions, ascots will replace ties unless I'm wearing a three-piece, and I might even have to justify buying woven shoes...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Lobb Paris has a boutique in Houston. Paul Wilson can fly down to do measurements and shoe fittings. GJ Cleverly also visits Houston but I would highly recommend NOT using them. There are a bunch of horror stories of **** shoes, poor finishing, and terrible customer service.

For suits, there is Steed for a drape cut and Huntsman for a structured cut. Steed is currently not traveling due to travel restrictions but Huntsman has their NYC cutter fly around 4-5 times a year.

For dress shirts, there is Hamilton. I use them but I'm really not too impressed with their work. I'm thinking of switching from them for long sleeved dress shirts. For casual short sleeve shirts they're fine.

Reactions: RSS

MRex

Reaction score
John Lobb Paris has a boutique in Houston. Paul Wilson can fly down to do measurements and shoe fittings. GJ Cleverly also visits Houston but I would highly recommend NOT using them. There are a bunch of horror stories of **** shoes, poor finishing, and terrible customer service.

For suits, there is Steed for a drape cut and Huntsman for a structured cut. Steed is currently not traveling due to travel restrictions but Huntsman has their NYC cutter fly around 4-5 times a year.

For dress shirts, there is Hamilton. I use them but I'm really not too impressed with their work. I'm thinking of switching from them for long sleeved dress shirts. For casual short sleeve shirts they're fine.

Good to know -- thank you!
What do you have, specifically, against Hamilton, out of curiosity? Also, please let me know if you find a better alternative (or if you have any options in mind right now). Thank you again!

--MR

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several issues.
1. My shirts have had quite a few loose threads.
2. They have my pattern but I've been getting really inconsistent results. I constantly had to get them to recut my shirts since the fit was off in the chest area. This was for repeat shirts too and not a first fitting.
3. They don't really offer any fit or style advice. On my first batch of shirts, the sleeves were too long which to me is something they should've caught. Every order since I've been having them shorten my sleeves slightly until eventually I just had them chop off a whole inch. The sleeves were literally 2 inches too long on my first batch.
4. I've never been too happy with how the collars fit. I've made numerous adjustments to my collar pattern, but I'm still not too happy with the way the collar fits/sits.

To me, they're more like a really good MTM over a true bespoke. They take measurements and make an individual pattern but they don't really assess fit and style. If you don't know what to look for, you'll end up with a batch of bad shirts. I only order once a year in June and usually do a batch of 5 shirts. Every order I've placed, I've had to get them to make adjustments that I think a more experienced bespoke shirtmaker would've caught. It took me several orders for me to get decent results.

Reason why I still use them is because they're local, during June they have a 15% off, and they're relatively cheap for shirts. Most fabrics start at $295.

MRex

Reaction score
Several issues.
2. They have my pattern but I've been getting really inconsistent results. I constantly had to get them to recut my shirts since the fit was off in the chest area. This was for repeat shirts too and not a first fitting.
3. They don't really offer any fit or style advice. On my first batch of shirts, the sleeves were too long which to me is something they should've caught. Every order since I've been having them shorten my sleeves slightly until eventually I just had them chop off a whole inch. The sleeves were literally 2 inches too long on my first batch.
4. I've never been too happy with how the collars fit. I've made numerous adjustments to my collar pattern, but I'm still not too happy with the way the collar fits/sits.

To me, they're more like a really good MTM over a true bespoke. They take measurements and make an individual pattern but they don't really assess fit and style. If you don't know what to look for, you'll end up with a batch of bad shirts. I only order once a year in June and usually do a batch of 5 shirts. Every order I've placed, I've had to get them to make adjustments that I think a more experienced bespoke shirtmaker would've caught. It took me several orders for me to get decent results.

Reason why I still use them is because they're local, during June they have a 15% off, and they're relatively cheap for shirts. Most fabrics start at $295.

Good to know. I'll keep my eyes open for alternatives.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can also try Kiton for suits and shirts but they're very expensive. I remember several years ago I inquired about bespoke suits at Kiton. The starting price back then for base level fabric was $8000. For a bespoke shirt, I think the starting price was around $1000. At that price for a shirt, going with Hamilton was a no brainer.

MRex

Reaction score
You can also try Kiton for suits and shirts but they're very expensive. I remember several years ago I inquired about bespoke suits at Kiton. The starting price back then for base level fabric was $8000. For a bespoke shirt, I think the starting price was around $1000. At that price for a shirt, going with Hamilton was a no brainer.

...yeah... that's maybe a little bit much for a shirt...

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several issues.

I've had similar results with Hamilton fwiw.

I haven't tried them yet, and it's Dallas not Houston, but I've been meaning to get up there and try https://www.shopuncommonman.com/pages/custom for mtm suits. ~ $2k for mtm with some really nice details and quality from what I've read.

Nytailor

Reaction score
For a true, Savile Row bespoke, there's Huntsman or me. We both have places in NYC and visit Houston and other Texan cities regularly.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a true, Savile Row bespoke, there's Huntsman or me. We both have places in NYC and visit Houston and other Texan cities regularly.
Not sound rude but who are you? There's not much information in your profile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads