• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke in China & SE Asia (Suits, Shirts, Shoes)

MikeB

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently on some time out after finishing uni, before I start full-time work (investment banking
crazy.gif
). I'm far from a connoisseur of the ins-and-outs of gentlemen's fashion, but I do know that I would like to look the business when I return to the office - this is where I hope you guys can help! I've had a few 'bespoke' (CMT, I guess) suits from Thailand done over the years, which certainly fit better than RTW suits, and were obviously made from the material that I picked (although I picked the materials based purely on colour, rather than on any knowledge of quality of materials, etc). However, I have not been overly impressed with the quality in terms of durability... the material has bubbled a bit on some of the suits, etc. Ideally, I would like some advice on where to get some 'budget' bespoke suits made up, on my travels - literally anywhere in China or SE Asia. I understand that the Thai 'tailors' will be cheaper (GBP 25 - 50 for a two-piece suit), but I'd like to explore the other options out there. Ideally I'd need a tailor who could guide me through the process - I have an idea of the type of cut that I would like, on the basic level, but my knowledge of materials is poor. Generally, I'm coming into this from the dark... Shirtwise, having done a bit of research, I think I will go with Jantzen in HK. The options here seem more limited than when it comes to suits, and I'd feel confident in communicating my ideas. Shoes.... not sure. I was thinking of splashing out on a visit to Kielmann or Januszkiewicz in Warsaw... but then I read about cheaper HK alternatives on this forum (notably zee's leather ware's, as recommended by luk-cha). These seem to be about 1/3 of the cost of their Polish alternatives.... are there any other options out there? I understand that, on the whole, you get what you pay for... but there are bound to be discrepancies in the cost-quality ratio from country to country. I'm willing to travel to get a good deal, as finances are pretty tight at the moment. FYI - Of pretty high importance is the need to find a tailor / shoemaker who will keep records of my measurements / template (or whatnot!), so that I can re-order remotely. Thanks in advance for any help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads