• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke in Beijing

wyleecoyotee

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Recently I went to Beijing for a 4 day trip and ended up at the "silk market" (its much nicer than it used to be, btw). I bought 2 suits, and 8 shirts, from a shop called "David", I had no idea if this was a good shop. Later the guy brought the suits to the hotel room at 2300 and did a second sizing.
My girl friend was so impressed with the way they fit she had two made as well. Now, this guy is good at measuring and he understood what I wanted however I think finding him was dumb luck.I really have no idea about the kind of material I used. He told me it was wool, however I wouldn't know the difference.

This is why I started this thread:

1. Is there a resource or a way for me to get detailed info on the shops in the silk market (for suiting).

2. How do I know what kind of material was used?

3. Are there known good or bad places to go in the silk market?

4. Currently, what are the majority of shops in China using (type of fabric)?

A couple days ago I found multiple holes in one of my pants, I think it was from moths. I looked into "reweaving" but it would cost about $250. The suits only cost me 125 each so I don't think reweaving is an option.

These suits look great, I'm considering just ordering a replacement, and possibly more. I'd just like to get the latest on the silk market and the materials, thanks.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:lurk:

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with beijing tailoring, the only two I have heard are Brio (in house hosting WW. chan and Italian tailors) and Dave's Custom Tailoring. I can't say anything about their quality but I heard good things(perhaps not cheap).

Check on those or some quality RTW makers(Even Chinese Brands Trands and Lampo which are quite good in construction, at least in their higher ends) before you decide which is good and which is bad.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you spend time in Hong Kong once in a while, there’s nothing worth your time and effort in Beijing for classic western menswear. There are some quirky streetwear places in and around Nanluoguxiang though.

psychodealer

Reaction score
If you spend time in Hong Kong once in a while, there’s nothing worth your time and effort in Beijing for classic western menswear. There are some quirky streetwear places in and around Nanluoguxiang though.
Like what?

alanshao

Reaction score
I've tried tailor of Beijing and some of HK (Dream Bespoke, Brown's Tailor). Have to say if you want good fitting and quality, there 's nothing worth you time. I failed to find any Beijing tailor for floating canvas with reasonable price. But there are really choices worth the price. I have orders 2 suits with only CNY 700/800 at Alice's Tailor at Ya Xiu 雅秀 market about 10 years ago, of course fused canvas, with what they declared to be wool febrics. After wearing for 2 or 3 years, they still seemed good. I heard a name of Hong Du 红都 tailor, which has made suits for some leaders. Have not tried, but once saw a friend wearing their suits, looks nice. It cost about CNY 4000-5000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads