Bespoke Gloves

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musososeki, May 22, 2011.

1. musososeki

musososeki Well-Known Member

God. I can't see this as anything other than sexual. The most elegant man you've ever *blown*?

Is that a term for fitting for gloves or something?

It's actually technical jargon, a term for an action one man occasionally performs on another in the privacy of the latter's Jaguar.

2. Wolfador

Wolfador Senior member

wow some of their gloves are awesome, especially the ladies gloves. Now how can I get a photocopy of my wifes hand so I can order her some? Any ideas?

3. harry2quinn

harry2quinn Senior member

It's actually technical jargon, a term for an action one man occasionally performs on another in the privacy of the latter's Jaguar.

Oh, ok. That makes a lot more sense. [​IMG]

4. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Musososeki, if you hang around these fora for a while I think you'll become an icon.

5. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Did they recharge you the bespoke fee for the new tracings? Xeroxing was a smart move. What models do you have? I ordered the 'Paris'.
    My favorite pair from them is The Kensington in Deer, Acorn (or maybe it was Mink) Unlined, no Points. Second favorite is the Oxford in Cape, Chukka Brown (which is really more a burgundy), Red Silk linked, Points. I also favor their Top Gear Driving glove. Not sure how they select their leathers. It may be based on the specific glove, or it may be just depends on which batch of shipment they have on hand. The Deerskin used for my Kensington is tons better than the skin they used for my Statesmen. The Cape skin used for my Francis is also tons better than the cape skin used for my Open Road (Driving Glove). They also take special request on leather, though they never got back to me on my peccary order.

6. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

The first pair was very good, but I think I trace the fingers inconsistantly. So I redid the trace with more consistency in the way I held the pencil. That glove turned out better, but still had looseness on my left palm.

I ended up just photocopying my hand and send it to them. That ended up with a perfect pair. Now I have around 10 pairs of various gloves made by them.

How did you spread your fingers for the Xerox? As wide as possible, together, or somewhere in between?

7. BrooklynWeGoHard

BrooklynWeGoHard Senior member

My favorite pair from them is The Kensington in Deer, Acorn (or maybe it was Mink) Unlined, no Points.

Second favorite is the Oxford in Cape, Chukka Brown (which is really more a burgundy), Red Silk linked, Points.

I also favor their Top Gear Driving glove.

Not sure how they select their leathers. It may be based on the specific glove, or it may be just depends on which batch of shipment they have on hand. The Deerskin used for my Kensington is tons better than the skin they used for my Statesmen. The Cape skin used for my Francis is also tons better than the cape skin used for my Open Road (Driving Glove).

They also take special request on leather, though they never got back to me on my peccary order.

this post is worthless without photos

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Did Chester Jefferies change their options recently?

I remember looking at the Paris gloves in suede a while back, now it looks like its not even an option. [​IMG]

9. arc

arc Senior member

+1 photocopy or have someone els trace your hand

Chester Jefferies will be seeing a lot of random orders for yellow gloves this week.

http://www.chesterjefferies.co.uk/sc...?idCategory=31

And conveniently, the Roper deerskin gloves, available in yellow, are 20% off right now.

10. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Did Chester Jefferies change their options recently?

I remember looking at the Paris gloves in suede a while back, now it looks like its not even an option. [​IMG]

It's still there - look under 'Dress Gloves'.

11. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

How did you spread your fingers for the Xerox? As wide as possible, together, or somewhere in between?

Just a comfortable spread so each finger is distinct. I assume that the length and width of the finger is all that is important.

12. iroh

iroh Senior member

I am planning to order a pair of gloves from CJ however the post above about the lack of durability concerns me (I was shocked to read a piece of tape could take off the top skin of the leather they use). So I want to know a list of the most durable leathers they have to offer, I want my gloves to last me over 20 years.

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I hope to get some bespoke gloves from CJ (for myself and my wife) soon. Thanks for the hand photocopy idea, too. I've done just that in readiness for my order. Excellent idea.

14. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

I'd really like to get some of these CJ gloves to go with a couple of sports coats I have, and wondered what you thought would be good colours for the following combinations:

I'm thinking a dark brown to match that of cords in the first instance.

Both jackets also have burgundy in - the blue has a burgundy in the windowpane and the green is donegal with burgundy as well as orange flecks in.

My second choice would be a mid tan the same as my shoes in the photo

And a third choice would perhaps be a deep burgundy.

What do you guys think if I was to order one pair, or to order two pairs? They will be general purpose dress Winter gloves that don't need to be overly warm, with a cashmere lining.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I always go with brown for my gloves and all should look fine with the above suits/jackets.

I'm highly tempted to order a yellow or red glove among my first order.