Bespoke from Singapore (pic heavy!)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gshen, Dec 2, 2008.

1. stylomilo

stylomilo Well-Known Member

2. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

3. wosk

wosk Active Member

I don't know much about the details into fitting a suit yet, but I have to say it looks amazing on you at a first impression.

4. quix20

quix20 Active Member

Just reviving an old thread... was in Singapore recently and decided to pay a visit to Iris Tailors based on some of the reviews here.

Will post some photos once I get the suit in the mail (was only in Singapore for slightly over a week to try and get as many fittings in as possible).

5. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

I was in Iris 2 weeks ago for some work. They showed me a bunch: a pashmina, vicuna and cashmere blend made by Dormeuil. It came in a black shiny round box. Price per yard: $3,500. [​IMG] Yep, you read that right. 65% pashmina, 25% vicuna (I think) and the rest cashmere. The hand was hardly different from 150s and the designs were actually kinda tacky...like what a nouveau riche oligarch would wear. 30 minutes later, an east indian guy came in...scanned through the bunch, and ordered 2 pants and 2 suits right off the bat. He insisted on some "recession" pricing with some mischevious intent...then left 10 minutes later. Jeffery told me that's one of his regular clients.

6. ginghaman

ginghaman Senior member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

7. ctc79

ctc79 New Member

Hello Gshen,

great suit, very well done! Would you recommend i do my shirts from iris as well if I do my 1st suit there? Thanks!

8. duration

duration Senior member

I was in Iris 2 weeks ago for some work. They showed me a bunch: a pashmina, vicuna and cashmere blend made by Dormeuil. It came in a black shiny round box. Price per yard: $3,500. [​IMG]

Yep, you read that right. 65% pashmina, 25% vicuna (I think) and the rest cashmere. The hand was hardly different from 150s and the designs were actually kinda tacky...like what a nouveau riche oligarch would wear.

30 minutes later, an east indian guy came in...scanned through the bunch, and ordered 2 pants and 2 suits right off the bat. He insisted on some "recession" pricing with some mischevious intent...then left 10 minutes later. Jeffery told me that's one of his regular clients.

wetnose, we might have been in at the same time... I met that customer too. And yes, i saw the fabric with gold trimming. Whack!

9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

That's great suit for great price, also changed my view on Singapore tailor.

10. LUBE UP

LUBE UP Active Member

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried PIMABS or Clothesmith in Singapore, and if so how do they compare with Iris?

11. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried PIMABS or Clothesmith in Singapore, and if so how do they compare with Iris?

If you want to pay S$2,000 or whatever amounts PIMABS charges for a 'designer' to send your measurements to a factory, be my guest! A fellow local SF-er asked once about their jackets and this was the reply exactly:

" Our jacket uses both fusible interlinings and hand-stitched canvas on different parts of the jacket. We do not offer fully hand-stitched jacket because it will cost alot more and will take 3 months to complete at least."

OK....

12. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

If you want to pay S$2,000 or whatever amounts PIMABS charges for a 'designer' to send your measurements to a factory, be my guest! A fellow local SF-er asked once about their jackets and this was the reply exactly:

" Our jacket uses both fusible interlinings and hand-stitched canvas on different parts of the jacket. We do not offer fully hand-stitched jacket because it will cost alot more and will take 3 months to complete at least."

OK....

3 months AT LEAST for a half-canvassed jacket... Jeez[​IMG]

13. apropos

apropos Senior member

3 months AT LEAST for a half-canvassed jacket... Jeez[​IMG]
    Probably saving a few extra bucks by shipping the thing to and from China via seamail.

14. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Batam, Indonesia, actually.

15. apropos

apropos Senior member

Batam, Indonesia, actually.
    Wow. Just... wow.