Bespoke from Singapore (pic heavy!)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gshen, Dec 2, 2008.

1. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

At least 60% of Singapore's tailoring work, especially shirts, is outsourced to Batam. Alot of the tailors won't admit it, for fear that it would compromise on their ability to price higher.

2. apropos

apropos Senior member

At least 60% of Singapore's tailoring work, especially shirts, is outsourced to Batam. Alot of the tailors won't admit it, for fear that it would compromise on their ability to price higher.
    That explains a LOT.

(Thanks for that.)

3. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Interesting - I know that alot of work was sent to Batam, but how did you get the figure you quoted?

I would have thought that more suits were sent out than shirts, actually. There are quite a few shirt factories locally, but jacket/trousers less so.

4. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

One of my college mate has an uncle running an operation in Batam. So straight form the horse's mouth.

There are a few locals but they are either currently advance in their years or themselves have hired PRCs, housewives, or some cheap overstayers to do the manual work. Don't quote me on that though.[​IMG] In case you are wondering, some of these old timers still do full canvas suits (that is the only way they have done it) but their house style will suit no one but North Koreans.

As for production, yes, they do the whole works in Batam, suits, shirts and pants. When I said especially shirts, it is because the market for shirts is a whole lot bigger for Singapore than all their demand for the suits and trousers put together.

Another reason why I think CMT with good fabrics is a pretty bad idea, if you do not know who makes your clothes eventually.

5. gshen

That was very enlightening, thank you.

Cutting is done in-house at Iris, and I am fairly confident they have not been outsourcing their stuff to Batam and everything is still kept to local sifus for suits and a factory for shirts.. Of course, I could've been taken for a ride all this while. [​IMG]

However, I've personally examined the work of some batam factories and what I've been getting is way, way better, and consistently so.

6. suited&booted

suited&booted Senior member

Maybe Batam or JB in Malaysia is for the Peninsular, Far East Plaza, mass uniform tailors and their ilk.

This threak continuously provides good intel.

Cheers to the posters and catch you tomorrow G.

7. CrimsonWave

CrimsonWave Well-Known Member

Hullo gshen [​IMG] Thanks for the informative posts thus far. Can't wait to get a shirt from Iris Tailor!

8. duration

duration Senior member

Man, agree on the gd intel bit.

9. gshen

Sneak preview of my latest project:

[​IMG]

I assure that you the Foo-sized head is only an artifact of the camera angle.

In case anyone asks, cloth is Minnis Rangoon 0123, courtesy of one of the forum's greatest assets - AndrewRogers!

10. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

11. Simon4rings

Simon4rings Well-Known Member

Great fit. Not sure if its the camera angle, but you manage to look fwocking skinny in a DB.

12. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

Great fit. Not sure if its the camera angle, but you manage to look fwocking skinny in a DB.
    Wide lapels amplified the effect

13. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Good thread and nice suit in your sneak preview.

The coat on the DB looks a bit longer than the coat you originally had done to start the thread.

Did you consciously order it to be longer than the original coat or is it just camera angle or whatever?

You had also said originally that you would next get a softer shoulder. The DB shoulder looks very good to me. Is this what you were aiming for?

14. gshen

Thanks guys.

Camera angle sucks I know - tailors aren't great photographers.

rnoldh - Yup, it was a conscious effort to make everything a bit roomier and longer. After wearing the past few commissions for a while, I realise the importance of comfort.

This shoulder has just a very thin layer of padding.. any less and it'd be completely unpadded. My right shoulder has a pretty bad drop that will be accommodated for by another layer of padding, though.

15. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Good thread and nice suit in your sneak preview.

The coat on the DB looks a bit longer than the coat you originally had done to start the thread.

Did you consciously order it to be longer than the original coat or is it just camera angle or whatever?

You had also said originally that you would next get a softer shoulder. The DB shoulder looks very good to me. Is this what you were aiming for?

I thought DB coats should be slightly longer than Sb coats.