• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke for the First Time - My Hong Kong Experience

bkarmstrong

Reaction score
Here is a direct link to my blog about my experiences at William Cheng & Sons buying bespoke suits for the very first time. If you are in the market and traveling to Hong Kong, this is a must read: http://bkarmstrong.blogspot.com/2010...hong-kong.html

smile.gif

http://bkarmstrong.blogspot.com/2010...hong-kong.html

image002.jpg

image020.jpg

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good review, thanks.

Change that background pic on your blog - makes it very hard to read.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like the cut of that jacket.

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkarmstrong
Here is a direct link to my blog about my experiences at William Cheng & Sons buying bespoke suits for the very first time. If you are in the market and traveling to Hong Kong, this is a must read: http://bkarmstrong.blogspot.com/2010...hong-kong.html

smile.gif

http://bkarmstrong.blogspot.com/2010...hong-kong.html

image002.jpg

image020.jpg

Nice Jacket bkarmstrong and great review as well, I'm planning to visit HK on my way back from the UK to Sydney for a few days next year so the notes on the time estimation and quality and workmanship are certainly very helpful.

Just a quick question though, were the jackets fully or partially canvassed?

Thanks and keep up the great reviews!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the button point is high and the lapels are too skinny (Slim is good, "skinny" is going to go out of style too soon).

otherwise looks good!

IronRock

Reaction score
I had a few shirts made at Billy Chengs about 2 yrs ago, cheap as chips but afraid they have all fallen apart. Similarly I visited him to have a dinner jacket made at about the same time as the shirts - the fit wasn't bad to be fair but:

1) he didn't put any pockets in the trousers because he said 'the satin strip gets in the way'
2) He was always really brusque and impatient, frankly I thought he was rude
3) I've won the suit twice and already the lining is coming out at the sleeves and arm pits.

Just my experiences. I think your suits all look pretty good, I hope you enjoy them and the workmanship is better than I received.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted average. The two suits look very MTM to me. They fit you generally well but some details couldn't be neglected:
1) shoulders look problematic, especially the zegna one's, I've experienced similar problem on my MTM jackets
2) the skirt of the VBC one looks crazy--well, I don't know if I used the right term, I meant the vents are almost on the sides of your butt! Typical drawback of MTM. The jacket might be cut in one or two sizes larger than your body and then be adjusted in the fittings, but during the process the tailor failed to deal with the oversized skirt simply because not too many customers will notice.
Let's see where the vents should be:
3304454377_8afdabbc2c_o.jpg

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
the back photo of your L.P. suit shows the arms need more work.

Heavily suppressed waist for an hourglass figure works negatively IMO.

You seem to be very fashion 'current'.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
I voted average. The two suits look very MTM to me.

I think he was asking for a vote on the quality of his review, and not the suits.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric
I think he was asking for a vote on the quality of his review, and not the suits.

well, sorry..
plain.gif

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the extensive review; I am not sure that I agree with or had heard about your three types of styles, but very enjoyable read. I have gotten shirts from Sandy in the past and he's a good guy. Any chance you can comment whether your suits are fused or canvassed in some way?

bkarmstrong

Reaction score
Thanks for all of you feedback. I can appreciate the works that needs to be done on the arms and position of the vents from behind, I wish I had noticed that before.

The suits are all partially canvassed. I could appreciate the canvas during the first fitting and you can see now where the canvas is stitched into the the jacket underneath the lapel. I know that they are not fused because I specifically asked Sandy to make sure he did not fuse suits prior to my making an appointment with him.

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I think the button point is high and the lapels are too skinny (Slim is good, "skinny" is going to go out of style too soon).

Although I do think super thin lapels are a trend, I don't think his are too thin. I personally feel the lapel should be utilized to compliment the wearer of the suit, which means framing the face and making the body look anywhere from proportionate to good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads