• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke fabric

Joefitz

Reaction score
What bespoke fabric will be durable and not break the bank? I want a suit I can wear a lot that is not crazy expensive.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say medium weight cotton twill is pretty durable. But bespoke fabrics alone will run you $500+, so I am assuming you are talking about fabrics for bespoke tailoring. I got a pair of trousers from NoManWalksAlone x Sartoria Carrara (MTM not bespoke, but the quality is definitely there). Fabric is cotton twill by Drapers. You can get it in a suit (iirc). In my opinion, cotton feels more durable than wool. They also have it in gray if brown is not your thing. Pricing for suit should be around $1600.
sc.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my opinion, cotton feels more durable than wool.
Cotton does not share the same properties/characteristics that wool has.
Will wickes moisture unlike cotton. This alone is valuable when wearing a garment. Wool can be shaped and pressed in ways cotton cannot. Wool will hold a crease longer and better than cotton. Wool has memory and retains shape better than cotton. Wool is resilient unlike cotton. Wool breathes better than cotton.
Having clothing custom made, the labor will or should be the major cost not the cloth. If you wear the suit for business or special events, cotton will not be an appropriate choice. If you want casual clothes, cotton may be the better choice. The benefit of quality wool will outweigh the extra cost over time

Joefitz

Reaction score
Thanks. I want wool for a suit, but wonder what fabric brands, numbers like 120 etc. would be best for a durable suit.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You will learn more working with and ordering from a competent tailor who knows cloth and can advise you. It will save you time and money until you have experienced enough cloth to understand your preferences.
Super numbers only relate the fineness of the yarns and don't convey quality.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I want wool for a suit, but wonder what fabric brands, numbers like 120 etc. would be best for a durable suit.

I agree with @Despos statement above, things like climate, humidity, frequency of use will impact fabric choice...make sure you use a tailor who is comfortable guiding you towards the right choice (that is a considerable part of the tailor/bespoke houses job)

That being said, in broad and sweepingly general terms, some things I've learned from the cloth thread include:

- the higher you go in S-number, the more fine and delicate the cloth will be. I've heard people on this board recommend staying below S130 or for everyday suits. I've also heard people say that shops that push solely based upon S-number is just a scam to get you to fall for some no-name brand cloth. I'd worry less about S-number and more about mill, weight, weave, and composition
- twill is a little more hard wearing/durable than a plain weave but will also run hotter
- heavier clothes will drape better and be more durable, but also at the cost of being warmer
- fresco and hopsack and various other open weaves tend to run cooler
- 9-12oz (or 270g to 370g) fabric is mid-weight, things below that are good for spring/summer and things above that are good for winter (once again, you'll need to account for climate and how 'hot' you run)
- some mills/merchants that get talked about frequently on the cloth thread at the "normal" end of the range are: VBC, Minnis, Dugdale, Huddersfield Fine Worsted and then a notch up from there are Holland and Sherry, Loro Piana, H Lesser/Harrison's collection, Drapers, Caccioppoli, Zenga, Dormeuil

I'm not an expert and don't know anything about your particular situation (so take it with a grain of salt) but if you're looking for a starting point for a first bespoke or MTM commission I'd take a look at the VBC 110s Perennial Collection (can be viewed on the Hall Madden site)

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simple question, simple answer: are you in a hot climate or do you wear warm? Dugdale new fine worsted or Minnis fresco. Otherwise? Harrison P&B Universal.

Joefitz

Reaction score
Simple question, simple answer: are you in a hot climate or do you wear warm? Dugdale new fine worsted or Minnis fresco. Otherwise? Harrison P&B Universal.
San Diego

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads